EGT's out of control

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I pulled my fifth wheel about 25 miles this evening and couldn't get above 55, unless I was on flat and level road. My EGT's would easily climb to 1250* and I would have to back off the throttle.

I did delete the cat, but didn't remove the stock muffler. I also haven't replaced the factory DP yet.

The fifth wheel weighs in around 10,000lbs. Would changing the DP and deleting the muffler help enough, or is there anything else I can try?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
It would be a good start. Gary don't be afraid to use a lower gear and lets the RPM's work for you. If mine drops down below 2,000 rpms the EGT's really climb, and it's down on power. Mine like to run @ 2100-2500. So with having 3.55 gears, I run either OD @ 72 mph or drive @ 55 mph. It's not really happy any where else. The PSD really use the turbo to make good power.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah mine takes off at 2000 and really pulls hardest 2500-2900 rpm.

if i were you i'd get the NAPA 6637 intake and a good free-flowing exhaust on there.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
yeah mine takes off at 2000 and really pulls hardest 2500-2900 rpm.

if i were you i'd get the NAPA 6637 intake and a good free-flowing exhaust on there.

Mine's the same way... I already have the 6637 intake.. Guess it's time for a new exhaust.. The CAT delete helped, but not enough for what I'm pulling.

I like the turbo back 4" HERE

Soon as I come up with the $300... I may get it!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No there are no chips that do that. I would get a new downpipe and at least tale off the muffler. That will help a good amount.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Is there any kind of chip, that would turn the fuel down a bit?

ya could have one made, but then top end would be lacking,
give it more air and a dp will help,

my old sd did way better than that 96 ever did
my 96 cc did good with the 26 footer

ya could always do what 90% of the guys that own them obs trucks do , hook up and go and not have a pyro

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Dunno. i dont even know if its possible for a stroker just tossing out an idea for you.

I went searching for water injection systems and was astounded by the prices!

I did happen across one page, that has my curiosity up though... CLICKY

I don't see how this could over hydrate the engine, and may try to fab one up... We'll see! Since I don't usually tow the 5er in winter, the water wouldn't even need to be used...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Toss the muffler. It's a good start. Wind it up a little, a different gear will help sometimes.

Chips are multi position. You might find something you like. Worth looking into.