3rd gear ratio out of range????

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i bought an 01 7.3, and have now experienced in the above freezing temps that after i drive my truck 5 miles i tend to lose 3/4 and reverse. I noticed it a few weeks ago and thought it was low fluid so i stopped and checked, bright red and full. I couldn't back up unless i have it a lot more than necessary throttle to actually move. Then it would rev up and then jump into reverse. That was why i was thinking low fluid. So started going forward on the highway and wouldn't shift out of 2nd. I parked the truck checked fluid level and then shut it down. Waited a few minutes and everything was good. Fast forward a couple weeks due to brake maintenance I was heading back into town no issues. Never shut it down this time, I was able to back out of the stall no issues. I headed out of town and notices again it wouldn't shift out of 2nd. This time I revved the engine to about 3k and it would then grab 3rd after I let out of the throttle. I had the scan tool with me so I pulled the codes and inly got the 3rd gear code. I pulled over and shut it off again and this time it didn't help. lost reverse again. I was able to get it home where i let it sit again for a few minutes then had reverse again so I took it down the road and again lost 3/4 without revving to 3k to get the shift. The trans then hit 4th on the way back out of nowhere. It doesn't feel like a clutch is slipping. I am by no means a trans tech but can get my way around a valve body or main pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because the wife is going to kill me if I have to tell her I need another trans after I just put one in the IDI. I am leaning towards valve body/solenoids. but again not sure.

Sorry for the long post

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Check the accumulator body for a sticky or damaged valve, broken or tangled springs.

3rd (direct) and reverse use the same clutch. If the direct drum doesn't apply you will not have reverse. So I would start with the accumulator body.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. That is the assembly behind the valve body correct. I took the truck out again yesterday and could only get it to mess up in reverse once. Shifted fine in forward. I had the scanner on it looking at temps, shift solenoids, and commanded gears. All looked good and no faults occured.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I have a 2-3 shift code as well. Also noticed my is light flashing. So today I noticed when cold it was fine. As it warmed up I got a longer 2-3 shift until it didn't want to shift into 3rd unless almost resumes and then let off. Then it would grab 3rd bit never 4th. I'm going to the pan this weekend and look at the accumulator valve but not sure what to look for. Not sure which circuit would be 3rd.

You must be registered for see images attach

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the odds that it could be the two three shift valve? I see that's in the main body. Just asking questions I'm still going to start with the accumulator body.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the balance in your tranny fund? Might need to tap it for a rebuild.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the balance of my tranny fund would result in me pulling the tranny out of my other truck. I have a third transmission that was in my original truck that had a weak reverse.

that's great. out of range usually means a rebuild IMO