EGT's out of control

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The pump came from HERE

Nozzles from HERE

Hobbs switch from NAPA This switch IS adjustable! Pop off the rubber cap on one end and adjust away!

Solenoid from HERE

You will also need some brass fittings...

Brass-Tite! #43033, used for nozzle mount assembly

Brass-Tite! #43231, used for nozzle mount assembly

6#
Brass-Tite! #43075, used for pump, water tank, water solenoid and nozzle mount assembly.

3/8" fuel injection hose clamps..

3/8" fuel injection hose

HERE is where I got my system plan... You will have to use the largest nozzle available. I used a M15 and plan on going larger!

thank you very much!;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I'm not quite following what you mean... Sounds interesting though...

Run a tube from your boost preasure to a T straight thru the T you then go thru a reilief valve set for atleast 8 lbs to your T with the preasure switch (this way your switch will always see above 7psi or none at all) then straight thru you go to a one way valve then bck to the very first T. The 1 way valve keeps boost from going the wrong way and bypassing the releif valve but lets the air out of the system when the boost drops

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Had some trouble, finding what I needed for the relief valve.. I got to thinking I could try something electrical and got to searching the subject..

What I came up with, was putting a capacitor across the coil terminals of the relay.

The capacitor is a 4700µF 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor
You must be registered for see images attach

I took the truck on an 80 mile test drive and the results are very promising! There's only a faint flicker, every once in a while. The capacitor does cause the relay to stay on for an additional half-second, but it does not affect the operation of the water injection system!

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
this is a very informative post!
I have been having the same problems myself but only pulling 7k! 6lbs of boost was hitting 1250* and only able to hold 55 -65. all the orange boots look ok, don't see any cracks but they are all soft like a sponge, is this normal? the intake boot is the softest. the left manifold looks like there might be some seepage. the strangest part is after a 6 hour battle, once I finally got north and stopped for dinner I got out of the truck and I always let it sit and idle for atleast 1 minute for turbo cool down, I notice the engine was a little louder and the exhaust sounded different. the ambiant temp was about 10 - 15 * cooler when I stopped but I don't know if that would have that big of an effect. after dinner we got back on the interstate and I ran right up to 80mph heading due east with a 30mph wind heading south east. my edge evolution cts programmer ( at pwr level 1 ) showed me 14lbs of boost and the egts were only hitting 1000* - 1100*. I don't know what or why this would happen or how. the motor only has 119k ( 3k of which I have now put on it ) miles on it and is only used 2 -3 times a year for dune trips and a couple into town so total about 3k - 3500 miles a year. I still have stock exhaust with cat but I have the diamond eye system on it's way. 3" dp, cat elimanator and 4" all the way back with no muffler. I hope this solves the problem but might only be a bandaid! if this doesn't work and changing the boots doesn't work I will be utilizing you info to construct my own methanol injection system, after seeing the online prices!
I am still following your thread to see how it turns out and if it fixes you problem, so keep the info coming and great job!

if anyone has any ideas about mine please speak up, I just can't stand an 6 or 8 hr road trip battle!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
all the orange boots look ok, don't see any cracks but they are all soft like a sponge, is this normal? the intake boot is the softest. the left manifold looks like there might be some seepage.

I would highly recommend changing the turbo intake (Orange) hose and the two Y pipe to plenum boots asap. Changing those made a big difference in my boost numbers. The downpipe and cat delete really helped too. Any time you can let a diesel breathe easier, it's a GOOD thing! ;Sweet

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
thanks this is the info I was looking for! I was really wondering about those boots being soft but didn't know if this was normal. I saw another post where they were talking about spraying soapy water on all the connections to see if there were any boost leaks, I will have to try this just for piece of mind. I read somewhere that I should see 16 - 18lbs of boost. I still don't understand what happened on my last trip, why it ran so high on egts then right on? didn't know if it were possible to see some blockage in the cat and it blew loose?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
thanks this is the info I was looking for! I was really wondering about those boots being soft but didn't know if this was normal. I saw another post where they were talking about spraying soapy water on all the connections to see if there were any boost leaks, I will have to try this just for piece of mind. I read somewhere that I should see 16 - 18lbs of boost. I still don't understand what happened on my last trip, why it ran so high on egts then right on? didn't know if it were possible to see some blockage in the cat and it blew loose?

I'm not sure, how spraying soapy water would show anything. You'd have to be working the motor, to get any real boost and the soapy water would dry up. Also, it's not recommended to get the electrical connections wet. You'd have to be careful. Over in the IDI forum, 6nebraskaIDIs has a boost leak tester, that he's fabbed up. You may want to go that route.

After changing the factory orange rubber under the hood, I can now get up to 18lbs of boost on mine. As for your last trip, I couldn't really tell you what happened.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
I have already replaced the harness under my right valve cover but not the left yet. I have noticed that this psd doesn't idle as smooth as my idi did. maybe I have a sticky injector. the engine fires off first three cranks every time though.

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did the orange boots on mine yesterday and, although my seat of the pants dyno hasn't had a chance to test the results, I feel better knowing those are new. Hopefully that'll help when I lug the 30' travel trailer up a hill one of these days. Next....downpipe and exhaust!;Sweet

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
I would highly recommend changing the turbo intake (Orange) hose and the two Y pipe to plenum boots asap. Changing those made a big difference in my boost numbers. The downpipe and cat delete really helped too. Any time you can let a diesel breathe easier, it's a GOOD thing! ;Sweet

what size are those 3 hoses? I found that silicone hose sight but they don't know what sizes I need. with a tape measure while they are still on the truck it looks like 2" on the plenum? and 3" on the intake?

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
thanks I think it is 3". I was just under the hood trying to measure them and noticed black soot coming out of the left side hump hose onto the intake manifold and valve cover. I don't see a crack in the hose but it looks like it is coming out of from between the layers. now if I change these hoses I will have to remove the y collector? if so where and what is the gasket or o ring that seals that back up?