egt and water temp seems too low

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With only stock fuel you will hit the skinny pedal today and it will spool on Sunday

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Thank you. I prolly needed that. Was already looking up db4 injection pumps and whatnot for the 85. Lol. Big dreams+little exp.= usually a bad week or two and lotsa cash lost. Kinda what happened to my 300 6. The t4 was too much for that old worn out block.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d look for a tp38 in your area, Usually 2-300 if you look for awhile and they make a good upgrade.
They came stock on 94-98 7.3 psd

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Not sure wat that is but sounds like wonderful idea... But now that my heads out the clouds I prolly need to learn more about what I have before doing a lot of mods realistically. Goin through a lot of other threads on this forum and WOW there's a lot to learn before I break some stuff outta sheer ignorance. Lol.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a wealth of info on here and a few threads I remember of people using that turbo, only downside is it’s non gated but it’s a much better design than what came on our turbo kits. If you are head studded there’s not much to worry about, the bottom end will take up to 400 hp, I would make sure your cooling system and drivetrain is in good health before pushing for more power. Do you have an auto or a standard?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Had auto. But lotsa problems so crammed a zf5 in her. My wastegate is dissabled at the time so is it much differant from a non gated turbo as it sits? Only getting 11 lbs at the most. Also... Pulled tractor this morning and Holly hell! Even up hill was able to keep 55mph! Usually chug at 40 and downshifting. Egts were at 1175 there at the end. Was really worried about that part. That is normal and OK though right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t want to go over 1200*, with the truck working that hard that temperature is normal. Disableing the wastegate forces all the exhaust to pass through the turbine so yes it’s the same as non gated but the tp38 has a larger turbine that flows much better but will take more to spool up, the wastegate shouldn’t be disabled on your turbo since the engine will be choked at higher rpms with such a small turbine

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I threaded the wastegate all the way in is wat I mean by disabled. So I should back it off some for better power at hwy speeds?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should still open if it’s just threaded in all the way, I would experiment with it and see what setting seems to work the best

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just disconnect the wastegates on my trucks. Nor sure what the absolute maximum you can get from the '093, but a Banks TE06h is good for about 20. It'll do about 10-15 reasonably efficiently; above that and you are creating a /lot/ of backpressure. I got 23 PSI from one of my TE06H turbos... but it created enough backpressure that it held the exhaust valve open just enough for the piston to whack it and bend the pushrod(with stock springs).

Either way, even 10-12 should do decently as far as cleaning up a stock pump. And, with a stock IP, you won't see more than about 15 PSI peak anyway, due to the turbo size.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Ugh. That sounds sh**** as f***. At least top end on these are easy to mess with. Just not that piston. Have to admit... Not digging these twin I beams. Got a low end leak myself and don't think that pan is coming off without lifting the block. Not sure I should worry about it right away though. Minute amount. But eventually need to replace pan gasket. Tried the old cork material and not sure what or how but I goofed a little cause got a little oil on it. Washed it off last month and starting to see a little residue again. Was freaking out cause I thought it was dripping off the oil cooler but to my relief it was all dry

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But eventually need to replace pan gasket. Tried the old cork material and not sure what or how but I goofed a little cause got a little oil on it.
You don't want to use *any* gasket material - just RTV. I recommend the "One Minute Gasket" by Permatex - it's the strongest RTV I've found.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online