egt and water temp seems too low

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to the thread I just did a recent build on my truck 6.9 IDI stock 93 turbo setup not too many upgrades just basic aftermarket gauges and whatnot loaded or unloaded I can't seem to get my water temperature above 190 nor can I get my egts above 350 uphill downhill regardless any ideas?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water temp should stay in the 180-190 range all the time, unless you are towing. The cooling system has so much capacity compared to what the engine puts out, that you can actually drive around(unloaded) with the thermostat stuck closed without overheating.

EGTs... How are they measured? Where is the sender, what type of gauge?

I'd expect 400-700F range when driving; with a digital gauge you might see 800-900 spikes when accelerating. With an unpowered analog gauge, you won't see the spikes.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Usually pulling my uncle's Massey. Weighs about 14200 on my 20 ft gooseneck. Not sure how much boxblade and bucket weighs. Pretty long uphill runs so between upshifting and downshifting it drops and fluctuates from 270 to 345 on egts. Thermo probe is on driver side exhaust manifold between second and third exhaust hole. Digitally measured. Can't remember brand will look tomorrow. Water temp location was moved from the stock sender location to the overheat dummy light sensor location with no change. It's not digital just the one behind the shelf from O'Reilly basic needle with crummy backlight. Got my thermostat 4 months ago cause first one I got had four little bypass holes and sat at 160 at hottest and was advised to get proper one from international and to flush green antifreeze and replace with fleet with SCA. Also noticed today (running without load) that egts stayed at 200 with little fluctuation unless I stomped on it. Got it to 290 and that's about it.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Also... Oil pressure gauge reads 48 psi on initial start and idle. When warm it falls to 28 psi at idle and while driving stays about 48 again except when mashing the clutch

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think something's wrong with your gauge/sender setup, at least with the EGT one.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I just replaced it last year when I rebuilt the engine believing the same thing about the previous one that had verry similar readings. It was the old needle guage that only worked when u turned the light on but the highest that one would show was 400 ish under load.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you seeing smoke under load? If you do see smoke, you should have higher EGTs.
If not... you may just have really little fuel going in?

Have you adjusted both the fuel screw and the torque screw?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
No. Old one was missing from donor truck so just bought new and new injectors. Was rebuilding it anyway and it almost seemed as though there was nothing worth saving minus the bare block and crank and cam. Just replaced everything. I used to see a bit of black smoke after I put block into my truck but I just retarded the IP timing a touch so that it didn't smoke unless I punched it or upon starting it in the morning. Now that i put the turbo on I haven't even seen that. Are u suggesting that I may be running a bit too lean?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without adjusting the ip to add enough fuel to to match the extra air the turbo is adding, you won’t get any power gains and this is why you have such low egts. Time to add some fuel!