egt and water temp seems too low

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
That's one that was in the old 85. Was 7.3 idi. Funny... It had newer moter and my newer truck I put older in. That one had same life my 91 had. Just never turboed. And HIGH egts all the time. Bout to start building it back but why are the heads blocked off were the vally pan rests? The 6.9 heads were open and used the vally pan to close them? Or was that an individual before me that plugged them?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Bout to start building it back but why are the heads blocked off were the vally pan rests? The 6.9 heads were open and used the vally pan to close them? Or was that an individual before me that plugged them?
Newer 7.3 motors had the ports blocked off to prevent any leakage if the valley pan gasket fails. The good news is that if they are plugged, you can be less picky about your valley pan and re-using them - you only need to keep air in the intake and oil from splashing up, not 13psi water out of everything.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Newer 7.3 motors had the ports blocked off to prevent any leakage if the valley pan gasket fails. The good news is that if they are plugged, you can be less picky about your valley pan and re-using them - you only need to keep air in the intake and oil from splashing up, not 13psi water out of everything.
OK my egts are actin up again. Spikes are more common than before up to 1290 with the simple mash to get between gears. Almost immediately drop back to 800 ish and some smoking. Will bigger compression wheel help? If so were I get and how much? And also if I order the banks downpipe is it a simple bolt on or is there fabricating involved? Don't want my new pistons and rings looking like my 85s. Also I turned IP up 3 flats so far and threaded wastegate almost slammed shut. Adjusted IP to 8* btdc to reduce black smoke (still get a bit wen 2/3throttle or a puff between gears). Same trailer but not sure what yanmar weighs. Alot smaller little 35 horse 3 cylinder.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to stick with the stock turbo and upgrade that platform I would contact Russ, aka typ4 on here and he will rebuild your turbo with the 60-1 upgrade. I would get your timing sorted before going straight to a turbo upgrade. Banks downpipe is a bolt on piece or I can build you one. Does the egt spike and once you hit boost it drops down?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
If you want to stick with the stock turbo and upgrade that platform I would contact Russ, aka typ4 on here and he will rebuild your turbo with the 60-1 upgrade. I would get your timing sorted before going straight to a turbo upgrade. Banks downpipe is a bolt on piece or I can build you one. Does the egt spike and once you hit boost it drops down?
No sir. Almost seems to spike as the boost spikes. Mash the clutch around 2400 starts dropping dramatically to 950-1050 and boost dropps compleately and as soon as I up/downshift boost jumps back around 2-4 depending on hill and egts drop around 800 ish and good roll of coal and rpm down to 17-1900

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. What rear gear do you have? Did you swap in a diesel zf5? (S42) or did you use a bbf trans?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Hmm. What rear gear do you have? Did you swap in a diesel zf5? (S42) or did you use a bbf trans?
I put in the zfs42 cause it had e4od and 3.55. Hated it so went with the 4.10 outta my 85 with new bearings and spiders. Was really wanting 3.73 not sure now...