egt and water temp seems too low

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Little late.lol. a lot of guys at part store said if I ever planned on turboing it I would have to torque em down a bit more especially since I ordered the solid copper head gaskets. I'm used to working on chevy 350s and my half ton Ford 300 straight 6. Honestly I just kinda went with what I was told. Apparently that was a bad idea cause ur not the first on just this thread to say so.

Last edited:

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
OK went up 2 flats and she livened up a good bit more coolant temp didn't change any but egts are in the 300-400 range. When i hit a good hill loaded and hold my speed up the hill I get it to 517. Not sure if my boost numbers did anything cause I broke my line to the boost guage. I'm sure something happened to boost numbers just not sure till I get the other guage and line back out and put it in to know just how much. Only been a day but mileage actually seems the same. Don't know for sure till I burn a tank or so but definitely got old copper woke up yesterday! Might be a few more days before I can play with timing though due to my slave cylinder I noticed is leaking pretty good. Been wondering why the pedle wasnt as smooth as usual.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With those egts you have room to turn the fuel up even more without issue, glad it’s running better now, it will be interesting to see where your boost numbers are

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Yes sir! Replacing slave cylinder and master cylinder today and probably just gonna buy another line. Really don't feel like diggin through the garage. Too many parts laying around. Gutting a 93 bronco and rebuilding another 6.9 to stuff in it and too much stuff layin around to sort through. Buddy is wanting the 5.8 out of it for his 86 bronco 2. So all that's in there too with my 85 4 door flatbed lol. Another 6.9 to rebuild and still got to find another zf5 wide range out of a psd. They seem to work for me lol. Oh and
Can't forget the 7.3 idi block in there that I pulled out the truck I've been posting about. Lol. These blocks are really heavy!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, are you 100% sure your egt gauge is working properly? Seems to me like you should see at least 700 to 800 degrees, even with only enough fuel to hit 6 psi...

Just saying, something doesn't seem right here...

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
It's the second egt probe and guage with identical readings(prior to turning up IP) and probe directly between 2nd and 3rd exhaust holes in driver side manifold. Like I mentioned before the only thing on this block that's older than a year is the block itself(after a line bore) crank and cam( had it looked at by reputable diesel shop) and the nut behind the wheel ( been told it needs adjusted further to the left. Lol) so as to why I have issues to why it's too cold is beyond me. My gramps has a temp gun and with exhaust manifold removed and at operating temp gasses are reading 980*f. Also oil temp stays around 200*f that normal? Maybe a compression issue? My 85 4 door is a 6.9 as well and still Na and it always read 1300 when doing same thing I do with my 91 and around 230 on cooant temp and the thermocouple is right after the manifold on the crossover pipe( maybe why it melted piston skirts and rings) but these two blocks are the same block yet like night and day as far as how they run temp wise

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think your egt gauge is off. A N/A idi will spike 1100 with a stock injection pump. Just sounds awful low to me

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
That was my thoughts but two differant new guages and even the old guage that was on the 85 that always read high are giving almost identical readings. That and since I live in Texas shouldn't egts be higher anyway?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
There is no way those EGT, and maybe coolant, are correct. On EGT, mine won't hardly idle below 300F after getting warmed up, and lives between 700-1100+ when towing. Coolant can easily get to 210 just on a 60 degree day, and 230+ in the summer.

Get those fixed and figured out before you hurt something.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s definitly a possibility that the gauges are off but if they are a quality brand I doubt it. My na truck will idle at 190 cold and 250 hot. And the only way a na truck would see 1100* is if the air filter is clogged or the pump is turned up a bunch. It could be he just has a very healthy engine fuel system and turbo setup.

Robm45497

Reaction score
that is probably right for torque for arp head bolts on a 6.9
I just did my 7.3 and they said to torque to 125 I think it was and you could go to 150 if you wanted to run as a hi boost option

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
that is probably right for torque for arp head bolts on a 6.9
I just did my 7.3 and they said to torque to 125 I think it was and you could go to 150 if you wanted to run as a hi boost option
They tol d me that they could not make the head bolts any tougher than the studs so I got two boxes of their head studs with all the washers and nuts and whatnot. Pretty cheap I might add. Only 395. Honestly I just looked up torque specs for 6.9. Then was told that the copper head gaskets required more from guy at orilys especially if I was gonna run boost

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Hydro idi. Pretty sure I made it clear that my experience with idi (any diesel for that matter) is slim. Mainly work on gassers and am no expert. Guy from orilys looked it up on THIS FORUM as to why I went with it. And came here for my questions after putting turbo on and figuring out if something was wrong weather it be something with these motors or my work so far on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online