Early Banks Kit Difference in Auto and Manual

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning Gentlemen,
I seem to remember that the early Banks turbo kits were different for the automatic and manual transmission. What is the difference? The y-pipe is the only thing that seems likely. :dunno

gandalf

Reaction score
I think you're right, the Y-pipe is different. I seem to recall that there is also a control arm, on the C-6 transmission, running between the transmission and the IP. Other differences might exist, but others will have to list them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Gandalf, that's the kickdown linkage. The up pipes could be different too. I believe the early ATS kits had different ones between standards and automatics.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably is an up pipe difference. When I had the hypermax setup on my last truck and converted from zf to c6, the pipes would in no way fit anymore. I'm sure the banks setup is very similar to my early hypermax kit I had

86F350ken

Reaction score
From what I've found while looking for a kit for my truck is there are 3 different turbo pedestal mounts. 1 for truck auto, 1 for truck manual and 1 for a van.

Are all vans automatic?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put simply, Auto: the up pipe is on the driver side. Manual: the up pipe is on the passenger side. I found out the hard way. I had the first gen "big box" Banks turbo. My truck is a ZF5. The turbo kit was off of a C6 auto truck. When installed, the pedestal was aimed right into the bell housing and there was no way to install the up pipe.
The auto pedestal MAY work with a E4OD but I cannot confirm or deny.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put simply, Auto: the up pipe is on the driver side. Manual: the up pipe is on the passenger side. I found out the hard way. I had the first gen "big box" Banks turbo. My truck is a ZF5. The turbo kit was off of a C6 auto truck. When installed, the pedestal was aimed right into the bell housing and there was no way to install the up pipe.
The auto pedestal MAY work with a E4OD but I cannot confirm or deny.

So this means if I were to do a ZF-5 swap i would need to find a manual transmission pedestal and up pipe?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron