E4OD turbo dipstick woes...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
I'm jamming on the ATS turbo install. I'm having a heck of a time getting tranny dipstick to fit. The issue seems to be the factory heat shield. I've hammer and punch clearanced it but it's still pretty much pressing against the heat shield. On the topside, it doesn't look right either. The bracket doesn't line up with any of the available hardware... Please take a look at the pictures and if you can, let me know what's up.
Thanks as always!
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been at least 16 years since I've worked on one of those so I'm a little rusty. first have you completely exhausted your supply of four letter words? Do you have anyone who can teach you new ones such as "Holy Shitake Mushrooms"? Seriously though, it looks like you're pretty close. Did you remove the upper half yourself? I'm assuming that this is a salvage yard piece. It could be bent a little. Have you tried to pull it down from underneath? If that doesn't work, maybe you could CAREFULLY bend the lower part of the tube SLIGHTLY toward the passenger's side.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree, but I also know that not everyone wants a standard transmission. I have one automatic (that's in my 1981 F150) and that's enough for me.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've not even started cursing yet. I used to do things like shoehorn e30 M3 engines into 2002's, I've got a bit of patience ;) So it's ok to bend the engine tube a tiny little bit? Also, what's the bracket supposed to bolt up with?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put a long 1/4" extension in it and use that to slowly bend it, not sure about the bracket, I don't own an auto

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The tab bolts to a stud on the bottom row of valve cover bolts similar to how your oil dipstick bracket mounts. The stud won't be there on yours since it wasn't a factory turbo. You could either use a valve cover bolt or use a short piece of All Thread and a couple of nuts.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tab bolts to a stud on the bottom row of valve cover bolts similar to how your oil dipstick bracket mounts. The stud won't be there on yours since it wasn't a factory turbo. You could either use a valve cover bolt or use a short piece of All Thread and a couple of nuts.

Thanks, that makes sense.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're welcome. If it was me, I'd get it to fit in the lower part of the tube first and then worry about mounting the tab on top. You may have to bend something up there before you can get it mounted.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Its been a long time but when its in so it will work right it is so close to the heater box that it will some times vibrate against the box when backing up up a grade with a loaded trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828