E4OD, part found on the bottom of the pan. What is it?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
1992 7.3 F450. Every gear position on the column shifter, except P, results in forward motion of the truck. Park holds the truck, RND21 ALL go forward. Trans shifts thru the gears as it should when left in D.

I had assumed a seized, broken or somehow messed up forward drum/clutch unit, if the linkage had not obviously failed somehow. The linkage seems to travel as it should both externally and internally.

However, I found this in the bottom of the pan. With a broken bolt head. The only bolt that appears to be broken on the underside of the trans is in the casing, right under where the shift linkage goes through the drivers side of the trans. But I think that's a roll pin rather then a bolt.
Is this piece part of the linkage? I don't have any other parts E4OD's to tear the pan off of, to take a look.

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like the little roller wheel that rides in the toothed shifter pawl. That is what gives you the detents when you shift through the gears. That piece is like a leaf spring and the little wheel on the end rides on the teeth.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ah huh! That makes sense. This trans has never had those detents when moving the column shifter. So this is likely un-related to the only forward direction of travel issue I would imagine

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Yes agree with Kevin 007. For helping stop you in the gear you are trying to select.

Agree this part should not prevent you from being able to go into reverse.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I believe this is what things should look like for you. I suspect that with the detent lever not in place, the shifter may have traveled too far, and the pin that moves the valve in and out (upper left part of the pic) is no longer engaged with the valve. The reason you still have park is that the rod that engages the parking pawl is still hooked up. When you put the shifter in park, the parking pawl engages, but the trans is still in drive.

Just my best guess based on what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
That's a great pic if the location of that detent lever. Thank you.

Yeah the pin that moves the valve in and out, is till engaged with the valve, and the valve is moving like it should....Im thinking the problem might be deeper unfortunately.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Somebody must have went savage on the shift lever.:D

Without the roller you can move the valve out of place. Fix this first, then try reverse again.
No reveres could be a failed clutch. The only way to find out is breaking it down and rebuilding it.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great pic if the location of that detent lever. Thank you.

Yeah the pin that moves the valve in and out, is till engaged with the valve, and the valve is moving like it should....Im thinking the problem might be deeper unfortunately.
Glad the pic helped. It’s not mine, I just knew what you needed to see, the internet did the rest.

You may be right with the problem being deeper. Without that detent holding the valve in the right position there may have been fluid leaking between different hydraulic circuits.

Do you know when the transmission was last rebuilt? I ask because I can’t imagine breaking the bolt for that detent being caused by anything other than someone getting overzealous with an impact when it was last assembled.

I would take a close look at the valve and it’s bore, and if it looks good put some fluid back in it, and see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmtech68

Reaction score
From my experience the forward clutch has jammed itself on. The wave spring in the forward clutch has been known to break into pieces and stack up. That will give drive in all positions including reverse and neutral. It's not the only one but I have seen it a bit.