e4od just went up

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a new trans will I have to get one for a 7.3 or will a gasser one work?
I have a 93 f-350 7.3 n/a non turbo.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be a diesel transmission - 6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI, or early 7.3 PSD, they all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. Several things worth noting:

1) the 6.9 never had an E4OD behind it from the factory so if you get an auto trans from such a truck it will likely be the 3-spd C6.
2) the PSD transmission uses a 6-lug torque converter, so you'll have to either redrill your flexplate for it, or use a 4-lug IDI converter.
3) at some point in the early- to mid-'90s Ford switched the way the E4OD solenoid packs and PCM work - early models have the protective diodes in the solenoid pack inside the trans, later models have them moved to the PCM. It's my understanding that you can use an early solenoid pack with either PCM, but the revised solenoid pack should only be used with a revised PCM. I'm quite positive all IDI trucks have the old-style solenoids and PCM, but a PSD trans would be of the newer type so you'll have to switch solenoid packs over from a good old-style trans into the new-style one.
4) a '96-up E4OD will have most all factory upgrades that Ford dd to the E4OD over the years, so it will be stronger than any direct-replacement trans for your truck.

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-cuss:***::frustrateI had trans redone at the end of may and put just less than 20,000 miles on it and it just went out. Was driving on a highway and sounded like a grinding. Stoped looked around and nothing was dragging. after that noise kept it out of od and was fine. then a few days later the od light flashed. ran code and it was a 26 tot sensor. Went 10 miles to get stuff for a trans service and on the way back about lost all 3rd gear. dropped pan and has about 6 small shinny metal shavens and some muck. I sure I need another trans again.-cuss

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD I understand how you must be feeling about now. Not happy to say the least. When you replace the transmission make sure you put a very large trans cooler on it. I run a tru-cool (forget the model number) on mine and have beat the crap out of it. As long as they stay cool they are pretty durable.

Sorry for your bad luck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congrats.
i generally never got a year out of any of my E4DOA's in my F450's. I have a spare 2wd unit here but it's going to be a killer shipping it out there.
if you do stay with the trans, have a spare built and sitting aside. flush out the coolers good and it should last for a little while.

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD I understand how you must be feeling about now. Not happy to say the least. When you replace the transmission make sure you put a very large trans cooler on it. I run a tru-cool (forget the model number) on mine and have beat the crap out of it. As long as they stay cool they are pretty durable.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Yea when I put it in I put on the largest one advanced auto had (about 1/4 of the rad) We have had a lot of snow could spinning in the snow of caused this?

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congrats.
i generally never got a year out of any of my E4DOA's in my F450's. I have a spare 2wd unit here but it's going to be a killer shipping it out there.
if you do stay with the trans, have a spare built and sitting aside. flush out the coolers good and it should last for a little while.

:dunno
What other trans would be good for a snatch truck?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done many C-6 plus USG OD conversions in the past. you will loose the lockup but that's where the problems were for the trans. for you, you can go either USG or GV since you're 2wd. F450's used the 4X4 trans.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea when I put it in I put on the largest one advanced auto had (about 1/4 of the rad) We have had a lot of snow could spinning in the snow of caused this?
it's a little late now, but you needed not only the coolers in front of the radiator but also one that has it's own cooling fan also. Before I shut down my trucks, I had the aux cooler with fan mounted under the truck along with a extra spin-on trans filter.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J D Recovery;422923I had trans redone at the end of may and put just less than 20 said:
Wouldn't it still be under warranty then? Ya know, the whole thing about "1 year or 30k miles, whichever comes first"?

And methinks a C6 would be a rather suitable choice for you, but you may wanna have that one built up for big power before you stick it in, as the E4OD actually has stronger internals than the C6 so if that one failed there ain't no guarantee a stock C6 will last much longer. About the coolers - I run the trans fluid through my A/C condenser (no A/C refrigerant there no more, obviously), and she stays rather nice and cool all the time, but then again my engine fan is blowing full speed too so both the radiator and the condenser/cooler see plenty of airflow through them.

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it still be under warranty then? Ya know, the whole thing about "1 year or 30k miles, whichever comes first"

It was a carry in with a 12 month 12,000 mile wty.;Really
He also said that if I spun the wheels in the snow then I broke it.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's bull, sinning the tires in snow or ice is actually easier on the trans than driving at freeway speed - the load on the trans is less as it ain't really moving the whole heavy truck anywhere, think of it as the transmission's version of high idle - it spins fast, but it still ain't doing any work, how's that gonna hurt anything? Sounds like a need to borrow a bigger wrecker, and go pull the guy's front wall off his shop ;)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tow trucks are very ******* transmissions. He's lucky to even get a transmission shop to work on the truck let alone provide a warranty.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calvin, I understand that, however it's the shop's reason for refusing warranty that I totally disagree with - if he was spinning tires on the dragstrip then it could be a valid excuse, but on snow and ice? ***?

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a used one from a junkyard for $600.00 not a good price but its close and will pick it up monday. I get 60 day wty from them hope I don't need it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789