E40D slipping

banshee4599

Reaction score
I have a 91 with a E40D and it has recently started acting up when i go to take off i have to rev it up a good bit to get it to move. It works fine in reverse and
and the fluid and filter have been changed with no change. Any ideas would be a great help.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shift it into manual 2nd gear and see if it takes off much easier.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a failed MLPS can cause wrong gear starts.
one guy here,also on FTE,had this happen.his E40D was in fact found to be trying to start out in 4th gear.swapped out his failed MLPS (range sensor,neutral safety switch,whatever ya wish to call it) and it cured his issues.she took right off in 1st again.
manually shifting the trans into 1 or 2 position,i "think" overrides the MLPS,OR it just isn't electronically controlled at all? one way or the other,2nd gear (manually in 1 or 2 i believe only) should always be present despite the electrical system of the trans.
it cost's nothing to try.;)

banshee4599

Reaction score
I tried it and its still the same. Once its moving it shifts fine and if i put it in reverse and back up a bit then forward its a bit better.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Dose the tranny have a delay when you put it in drive?

If it dose. Could be issues with the center support or forward drum. Common on high milage units.

banshee4599

Reaction score
i can hear it click right into gear but it takes up to 2k on the tach sometimes to get it fully moving