Dyno results

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got both trusty and the ranger dyno'd yesterday. I was the only person representing the IDI's. Also think I took first and second place for lowest HP LOL. Trusty did ok towing the trailer down there, just took a little while. After the dyno day i had to go on to purdue for Grand Prix qualifying. I must say West Lafayette is not very trailer friendly. Overall it was a good day though.

Trusty is COMPLETELY stock down to still having the soup bowl and the factory "air sucking through an opening the size of a pencil at the front of the hood" intake pipe. The injector pump has about 15,000 miles on it and the injectors only had about 300 miles on them. I was hoping to have the pump timed before this but that didn't work out.

The Ranger is stock except i ran it on the dyno without an air cleaner and the fan clutch was bad.

The Results: (link to video of the runs at the bottom of picture)

Trusty: 124.0 HP 256.8 ft/lbs torque
Ranger: A jaw dropping 31 HP and 75.4 ft/lbs torque

My tow setup, trailer was a little overkill.
You must be registered for see images

Here is the link to my runs on the dyno. Its a long video but has both trusty and the ranger on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCH1HsWKALU

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
THAT is AWSOME! I NEED a trailer like that!!!!!!

But the truth about the WHOLE matter is....your IDI might make 124 HP...but you can run it ALL day WIDE open and have it stand up.

Try THAT with a hopped cummins or D max and see how long it lasts on high tune running WFO!!!

I would LOVE to dyno my engine in the F250.....then do up that IDIT an run THAT on the dyno and see what numbers come from her!!!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i'm curious what some of the hotter trucks dyno? my 7.3 with a turbo makes 210/400 without much boost or intercooler. lots of grunt down low too

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Goofy, my old 97 CTD that dyno'd 326/689 the week I bought it, could run wide open on the governor all day long, plus give 15-16 mpg at that load too. Only mods were a #11 fuel plate, boost elbow, and 15* timing. Never had an issue either. Enough with trash talking others.

Excellent numbers for a bone stock IDI. I've seen a lot worse numbers out of these trucks, very impressed with yours tho. Strong runner indeed. Even more impressive is those numbers are thru an E4OD, which notorious for taking a bunch of power. What gear were the runs made in?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Goofy, my old 97 CTD that dyno'd 326/689 the week I bought it, could run wide open on the governor all day long, plus give 15-16 mpg at that load too. Only mods were a #11 fuel plate, boost elbow, and 15* timing. Never had an issue either. Enough with trash talking others.

Excellent numbers for a bone stock IDI. I've seen a lot worse numbers out of these trucks, very impressed with yours tho. Strong runner indeed. Even more impressive is those numbers are thru an E4OD, which notorious for taking a bunch of power. What gear were the runs made in?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do a dyno run, always winds up that I need to spend the cash on bills, parts, or upgrades or something else happens. I have it pretty much where I'd like it to be for some baseline numbers. I do think Jake_IN's truck did awesome for what it is, and as Optikalillusion says spot on for IH/Ford specs for a new engine considering friction losses.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
I'd love to see a dyno on a WMO conversion truck. Curious if the BTU output from the oil would increase power numbers by much.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm curious what some of the hotter trucks dyno?

There was a lot of cummins in the 300HP range. I wasn't paying to close attention but i was hearing a lot of high 200's or low 300's for power. Did have a couple trucks that went way past that but they were a little less than stock. Then the trucks that were FAR from stock were making numbers a lot bigger than that, but i can't think of any exact numbers off the top of my head. I do remember a twin turbo CTB put down over 1000 Ft/lbs torque before it decided to puke its oil all over the floor.

Last edited:

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Goofy, my old 97 CTD that dyno'd 326/689

Those numbers are real close to what a guy that had a ford 6.7 put down. If I remember right it was 323HP and 700 some ft/lbs torque. Also aside from being the cleanest run of the day the exhaust is the wort smell your ever gonna smell:puke:. That urea makes the exhaust smell a lot like chlorine from a pool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance