DRW rear axle width?????

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
backing plate |........................drw pickup axle......................| backing plate

Attachments

• drw rear.jpg
    drw rear.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 79

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the measurement flange to flange where the wheel bolts on? Backing plate measurement is no good for comparing axles due to differences in brake assemblies. Some backing plates are offset differently to accomodate wider or narrower shoes behind certain drum and hub packages.
Travis..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im under the impression the DRW axle is 2" wider than a D60 WMS to WMS? i HATE that these ford trucks have a narrow ass (rear narrower than the front) i want that rear poke.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A srw d60 is 69" wms to wms.

^^You are talking FRONT 60 here correct? The rear is gonna be more like 65-66" on a single wheel truck. Dually axle should be around 71" or there abouts. I really don't like the way my single wheel front 60 sticks the tires out of the fenders. I don't know why they had to have the front spring spacing so wide, it's ridiculous.
Travis..

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im under the impression the DRW axle is 2" wider than a D60 WMS to WMS? i HATE that these ford trucks have a narrow ass (rear narrower than the front) i want that rear poke.

A dually rear from a pick-up will be easily 6" wider than a single wheel rear. They had to keep the inside tire in the same position in the wheel house that a single would be.
Travis..

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why the d60 is wider is because when you triangulate a vehicle it tracks better going straight. Equal axle lengths improve side to side loading when you get off-camber situations. 1.5" wheel spacers will fix your esthetic problem, though.

Also a better turning radius!

Last edited:

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how close in width is a front D60 srw axle wms to wms to a rear dually axle wms to wms?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason why the d60 is wider is because when you triangulate a vehicle it tracks better going straight. Equal axle lengths improve side to side loading when you get off-camber situations. 1.5" wheel spacers will fix your esthetic problem, though.

Also a better turning radius!

i was just going to add this too.that's why the D60's get a decent turning radius (and use a longer pitman arm to match) over the D50 ttb trucks.
ths issue with the d60 straight axles is,that you end up with a truck sitting way too high to work it daily,comfortably.especially once you add a higher sitting dump bed on one.pro's and con's to 'em all.
least with the f-450's they sit high,but they've got the payload for the heavy lift gates and other lifting devices,so screw the height lol.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info on here guys. I was wanting to know some of these measurements as well.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im dreaming of mounting a dually rear axle under mine, but running regular non dually single rear wheel, chop the wheel arches out from inside the bed, and have a true 6' wide loading area. oh baby.