droppin in the idi-what to do beforehand?

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the process of ripping out the 351 thats in my F350 (yes, its a total dog) and putting in a 7.3 idi. While the engine is out and everything is accessible I plan on making the engine leak-free and clean since everything is accessible. What would you guys suggest me do before dropping her in so I dont have to do double work later on? The engine runs good and starts right up every time.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the oil cooler o rings while its out. I didnt have a hard time doing them in the truck, but im not really that big. It would be a heck of a lot easier to clean things up with the engine out.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
front and rear main seals. use the "spedi-sleeves" rear main sleeve can be found in the FelPro line. the front is by National seal. Do not use any other brand, the material is too thick and will either not go on or use a off the wall seal size.

Attachments

• SL377382.JPG
    SL377382.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 8
  • SL377607.JPG
    SL377607.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 9
  • SL377609.JPG
    SL377609.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 4

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may as well drop the pan and check for rust-through thinness if your doing those seals. Inpspect the oil pump pickup and make sure it isn't cracked or loose.

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay I really appreciate the feedback. As for the oil cooler, is that the long tube lookin thing on the side of the block? If so that already leaks so its definitely gettin seals. Is there a way to clean it so it cools the best?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, thats the oil cooler. Once you have it apart youll see how to clean it.

Just search the forum for oil cooler. There are several posts that cover how to easily get it apart as well as how to clean it up before putting it back to gether.