Drivers side exhaust manifold questions

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a picture of the drivers side manifold on a van and would really like to put one on my truck. From what I understand, the truck oil cooler is higher up to avoid the subframe and thus the manifold has to be higher to miss the oil cooler.

I take it the van oil cooler must be different and lower to allow the lower manifold. I guess my question is, does anyone know if the van manifold will fit on a truck? I was wondering if Ford didn't go that route because of a proximity issue or an interference issue. I think I could work around a proximity issue.

Anyone have a van manifold for me to try out?

Jeff

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Pretty sure the frame/cross member will be in the way and possibly other things. The engine is farther forward in the van, relative to the front suspension.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
A van manifold won't fit in a truck as the trucks manifold has the weird shape that it does to clear the engine cross member.

You must be registered for see images attach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weird shape I think you are refering to is the 90 degree bend at the back. That is to clear the firewall as the crossmember is towards the front of the truck. The van manifold will fit on the truck if it will clear the oil cooler. I may call Ford to find out if the oil coolers are different between the van and the truck. If the truck oil cooler is raised to clear the crossmember, ford may have needed to use the different manifold for clearance. They may have just wanted to keep the cooler away from the exhaust heat, but then again it may have been an interference problem. I thought somebody on here may have had some experience with the differences and could suggest what might work.

Jeff

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I think the oil cooler just has the filter at a different angle for clearance. Do you have a pic of the van units?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have a pic, but the van oil cooler tube/core is the same, but the headers are different and place the cooler lower on the engine. If you go with the van manifold, you gotta run the van cooler and vise versa. I ran into this issue when swapping a E-series 7.3 IDI into my F-series truck about 7 years ago. I just put the F-series stuff on the 7.3.

Heath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I take it if you tried to put a van cooler on a pickup, there would be an interference problem with the crossmember, right?

Jeff

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I haven't tryed it, I don't see it worth the while to go through the trouble, but i'm sure some have tryed it.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The advantage lies in the much better flowing exhaust manifold of the van versus the truck with that flattened 90 degree bend. It just has to flow better by looking at it and the turbo would spool faster.

hesutton. It sounds like you have experience with this. Was the crossmember in the way big time with the van cooler or could it be modified some to get the van cooler on? I am really intrigued by this and feel it would be a worthwhile mod.

Jeff

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hesutton. It sounds like you have experience with this. Was the crossmember in the way big time with the van cooler or could it be modified some to get the van cooler on? I am really intrigued by this and feel it would be a worthwhile mod.

Jeff

Jeff, you can see in the below photos, that there is not much room between the cooler and the crossmember. I never even tried to mount the IDI with the E-series parts. It's a big enought PITA with the F-series stuff on there. LOL

The issues are don't end there, the oil filter may hit the crossmember and manifold may also be an issue in itself. No way to know without trying I guess.
You must be registered for see images

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wont fit, Saw it tried once, three inches off the mount and hitting the frame.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok last question. What about just replacing the truck manifold with the van manifold. Is it going to hit on the cooler or is there enough room to put some insulation between the two.

Jeff

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
van cooler and manifold are different as stated the core (tube part) is the same but the ends are way different the van cooler ends are straight while the truck has a slope up
you can run a truck manifold with a van cooler on a van but i dont see any point to changing them out unless youres have issues

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online