DPS Turbo calibration pump, Stage 1 Injector driving impressions...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the orings twice today, once first thing this morning, and again at lunch. Still leaks.

I investigated further, and was actually able to see fuel bubbling up out of the threads in the cylinder head where the injector screws in. It seems the injector itself is the source of the leak, not the return system. As I said, I hadn't experienced any of the usual symptoms of air in the system, and the way mine is leaking supports my little theory...

I think the injector is leaking somehow- wherever the case is assembled with all the goodies inside, it doesn't seal ( Im pretty sure that's down near the nozzle, which is sealed to the combustion chamber with a copper washer). The cavity between that copper washer and the threads in the cylinder head has filled with diesel fuel, and the fuel is bubbling up past the threads.

I immediately called Ken at DPS, who didn't hesitate to stick another injector in the mail to solve the issue. Great support, as usual, from DPS.

Maybe this time, I'll get the leaks fixed....

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an injector from Ken, and it seems to have solved my leakage issue. The truck runs great on the highway, but is pretty shaky at idle, and smokes quite a bit on a cold start. I've yet to get it timed properly- the MT-480 I've borrowed hasn't wanted to work yet. I get the luminosity pickup, but no RPM pickup. Any tricks there? The end of the mag pickup looks ok, and the groove in the pulley is clean. It fits snug in the holder on the block, and "feels" ok, but I don't know what it should feel like.

Any chance that idle will smooth out with the timing set right? I just hope I have it retarded, and it'll get even better on the freeway! I'd hate to have to retard it from where it is and loose that upper RPM power and the extra boost! :peelout

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
You get all the air out? From my adventures with these fuel systems and timing, that's the only thing that's ever caused a shaky idle.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaky idle is allegedly a symptom of retarded timing. talk to Agnem, he has the MT-480 timing tool and knows how to use it. I think with the 7.3 you're supposed to use the pulse method and there is an adapter on the #1 injector(or #4) Good luck

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that I've gotten all the air out, as I haven't had ANY trouble starting it, even on a cool 30°F morning.

I've got half a mind to just go drop the truck off at a local shop that has helped me out a time or two, and pick it up after this weeks trip to Phoenix for work...

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, probably so. Since it sounds like you have been having fun stomping on it and fogging for mosquitos, it shoulda gotten the air out.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Mel timed mine for me after I installed the same DPS components. I don't remember how far off I was but after Mels trickery it was much smoother at idle & on the pedal. Once timed correctly, it will sounds a bit louder when it's cold.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the injector replaced OK. The spray pattern on these DPS injectors is a little different, and they do idle just a tad rougher, but think of it more like a big block gasser that has been cam'ed. Ken, if you read this......

Think SPRINGS

:D

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the DPS stage 1 IP and injectors, my truck smoked loke a fog machine and started rough when cool. (after being timed by ford)
Timed by local company Runs great! Get it timed.