Down pipe heat wrap ?

d41

Reaction score
Hello All,
Well I got a banks down pipe and am about to put it in and was wondering what you all use for heat wrap, blanket, tape, ? I was kinda looking at the thrmo wrap blanket, Any sugestions ?
Thanks,
Bill

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Word of caution on using the header wrap... I did this on a set of headers on an "A" series small block Mopar a few years ago - one night I was at a gas station and heard an exhaust leak coming from under the hood - so I poked my head in there and could see the the wrap sort of move, it basically crystalized the metal that the header tube cracked then when I touched it with my finger my finger then was right in the exhaust stream... yeowza talk about hot...

I called Summit racing up since both the headers and the wrap were both pretty new from them (heck the engine was still pretty new) talked with them about it - they pretty much acted like DUH didn't you know these wraps aren't for street use... They said that about the only thing the wrap is good for is for on strip use - basically somewhere it's not going to see a lot of use. They suggested that if I wanted to contain the heat that I either get a set of headers coated or live with the heat... So I ordered another set of std headers and lived with the heat...

The only thing that I placed around my down pipe was this heat blanket stuff that banks sent with their turbo system. It eventually fell off when the engine was yanked the last time and was not reinstalled.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
argve said:
Word of caution on using the header wrap... I did this on a set of headers on an "A" series small block Mopar a few years ago - one night I was at a gas station and heard an exhaust leak coming from under the hood - so I poked my head in there and could see the the wrap sort of move, it basically crystalized the metal that the header tube cracked then when I touched it with my finger my finger then was right in the exhaust stream... yeowza talk about hot...

I called Summit racing up since both the headers and the wrap were both pretty new from them (heck the engine was still pretty new) talked with them about it - they pretty much acted like DUH didn't you know these wraps aren't for street use... They said that about the only thing the wrap is good for is for on strip use - basically somewhere it's not going to see a lot of use. They suggested that if I wanted to contain the heat that I either get a set of headers coated or live with the heat... So I ordered another set of std headers and lived with the heat...

The only thing that I placed around my down pipe was this heat blanket stuff that banks sent with their turbo system. It eventually fell off when the engine was yanked the last time and was not reinstalled.

I had that stuff on some Toyota headers, and yea, they freakin' disintegrated in weeks. :eek: Put something on the firewall if anything.

d41

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, Hope to get it in thia weekend, Has anyone had any trouble putting a banks down pipe in ? It's a 94 idi with only 37k miles so I'm thinking nothing should be to seized on, It does look a little tight in there against the fire wall ? Just tring to get the EGT's down a little,
Put a tru-cool cooler on last weekend and appeared to drop the trans temp by 30*, Havent pulled the trailer yet, Before pulling my transmission temps were reaching 210*
Well thanks for all the advice, This is the first place I look for all my idi needs
Great site, Great people,
Bill

Seekers

Reaction score
You might to a search on the downpipe installation I've read several threads about guys that have done it and that it was a tight fit. Something about using a sawzall on the seam of the firewall to open it up a little to get the downpipe to fit, but don't take my word for it because I haven't done mine yet.... DO THE SEARCH ;Sweet Some other guys that have done it might see this and chime in or but in a link but it is for sure here! :D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep it's a tight tight fit. I had to used about every cutting device I had in the ole tool box to get mine cut and folded back far enough - even bought a pnuematic body saw because of it's limited size to squeeze up in there.

Now Ezekiel had the best idea for getting the firewall back - he used a scissor jack he just put it between the fire wall and the engine/bellhousing then just cranked away - said it worked like a charm.... Sure wish I would have thought of something like that would have made life a lot easier.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished putting a 3.5" downpipe off my home-modified 3.5" outlet housing to the rest of the 3.5" exhaust. I cut a few inches of the seam out of the floor then used a scissor jack between the bell and floor to bend it up a bit more. Covered it with a plate from the inside. It seems to work well.

-Rob

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Please tell moure about your 3.5" housing? Sounds very interesting:)

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the ATS outlet housing then pulled the stock one off the truck, set them next to each other and realized the only difference was the end of the casting, the rest of the housing is identical. So I decide I'd save my $270 and modify my own. I cut off the end of the housing with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder, after this the opening was a bit larger than 3". I then welded a piece of my 3.5" OD exhaust pipe about 5" long to the end of the housing at the correct angle. I used heavy duty 3.5" ID flex exhaust tubing (its pretty heavy stuff, works well and holds its shape) to connect the outlet housing to the rest of my 3.5" exhaust. The flex fits perfectly and snuggly over the rigid piping. It seems to work very well, sounds nice and deep and I can hear the turbo clearly at almost any speed, sounds like a semi truck.

I would be happy to post pics but I dont know how, if someone can tell me how I will post em.

-Rob W.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Rob to post a pic, from the advanced posting mode (you have to click 'post reply' or 'go advanced' to get to advanced posting mode) scroll down and click the manage attachements button. Be advised that the file has to be smaller than 195k, or it wont up-load. You won't see your pic in the preview, but it will show up after you hit submit.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are 3 photos, on of the two outlet housings next to each other, ATS on left and stock on right(as if its not obvious). And then a pic of the short piece of pipe welded to the housing. Also a pic of all the exhaust parts fabbed up and ready to go.

-Rob

Attachments

• IM002847 (2).JPG
    IM002847 (2).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IM002882 (2).JPG
    IM002882 (2).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IM002886 (2).JPG
    IM002886 (2).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 21

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are 2 more pics of the stock housing cut at the point where both the ATS and stock housing are exaclty the same. The difference in the ATS casting happens after this point.

-Rob

Attachments

• IM002849 (2).JPG
    IM002849 (2).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IM002850 (2).JPG
    IM002850 (2).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 24