Door banging over bumps

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am having trouble with my driver side door banging on the latch post (door striker maybe) when I go over bumps. I can push against the top of the door with the window down and the noise will go away because I have stopped it from moving up and down. It's getting worse and I would like to fit it. I think the problem is coming from the door not closing tight...it has more "slop" when pulling on it while latched than the passenger side. How do you fix this? Thanks for any help.

*this is happening on my 1994 single cab f250*

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two methods,

One method....first mark around striker post on door jamb with a Sharpie...as close to base as possible...you can always return to the marked position then....loosen the post on the door jamb and move it inwards a little bit and tighten it down....it doesnt take much movement to make a difference...

Second is door seal mod....

get a look at end of your door seal seam, under kick/sill plate cover, (good luck pulling it) then get some surgical rubber tubing that will fit inside that seal, enough to go all the way around, now wet the seal and the tubing and how I don't know but feed that into your door seal restoring the seals bulge so to speak to help seal door better....

Also make sure you have good hinge pins...and door sits straight!

Just a couple options...

Al

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does same thing when going down rough roads. My weatherstripping is shot which is why it is rattling in my situation. I plan on putting new weatherstripping soon to make doors seal tighter. Fairly easy fix.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so weatherstripping going flat is the cause? I am guessing LMC truck has that, any other good source?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another cause of door rattle is the striker has lost the piece of plastic on it. Any fake auto parts store sells the replacement strikers or the piece of plastic. Look at the passenger side for details. That side very rarely gets opened but the drivers side is always used... About the flat weatherstrip and hose in it to open it up. I went to home depot and got some either 3/16 or 1/4 inch clear tubing. Start at the top rear corner of the weatherstrip and make a small cut large enough to get the tube started. I used Dawn dish washing soap to make it slide in easier... Easy there big guy ... Anyway, just keep sliding it in till its almost to the oppsite bottom side of the strip. Cut it off but make sure you leave enough for it to overlap the reat of the door. Then start pushing the tubing in towards the front top of the door till it reaches the bottom part. You will see that the strip has some small holes all the way around it. That sometimes helps to move the tube. You may od may not need to reset the door striker. Once done its amazing how much road noise is stopped from getting into the cab.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that or you need to adjust your latch..

I'll check it

Another cause of door rattle is the striker has lost the piece of plastic on it. Any fake auto parts store sells the replacement strikers or the piece of plastic. Look at the passenger side for details. That side very rarely gets opened but the drivers side is always used... About the flat weatherstrip and hose in it to open it up. I went to home depot and got some either 3/16 or 1/4 inch clear tubing. Start at the top rear corner of the weatherstrip and make a small cut large enough to get the tube started. I used Dawn dish washing soap to make it slide in easier... Easy there big guy ... Anyway, just keep sliding it in till its almost to the oppsite bottom side of the strip. Cut it off but make sure you leave enough for it to overlap the reat of the door. Then start pushing the tubing in towards the front top of the door till it reaches the bottom part. You will see that the strip has some small holes all the way around it. That sometimes helps to move the tube. You may od may not need to reset the door striker. Once done its amazing how much road noise is stopped from getting into the cab.

I will have to look at that. I am pretty sure mine is just metal, I did not notice a plastic peice when looking at it. I am picking the truck up in about an hour so I will look at it then.

*does anyone remember how much tubing you need inorder to fill in one door opening?*

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some guys photo album with all kinds of door information. In one of his photos, he was pulling "caulk saver" through the weather stripping to fix this problem. It is a roll of round foam rod you put into a crack like between concrete seams before you put caulk in there. Available near the weatherstripping at home despot. Even if it doesn't help, I still got to say caulk. Caulk caulk caulk.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine rattled i just slid a piece of rubber tube over the torx bolt for the striker where the plastic bushing goes just dont get to big of an O.D. cause itll cause door to shut hard. Another method i used on my 86 was electrical tape wrapped to desired thickness. It lasts for a good while.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found some guys photo album with all kinds of door information. In one of his photos, he was pulling "caulk saver" through the weather stripping to fix this problem. It is a roll of round foam rod you put into a crack like between concrete seams before you put caulk in there. Available near the weatherstripping at home despot. Even if it doesn't help, I still got to say caulk. Caulk caulk caulk.

Hmm....sounds a lot like we have another fan (dgr) of GMM to me....likes to use that C word too much.... *****

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I looked at the striker and confirmed that the plastic was not on. I stopped by Advanced Auto and picked up a new striker in the Help section for about 10 bucks. It looks like it will fit, so hopefully it will. That will be my first step then I will look into the other suggestions here as well.