Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Now that I have it in my possession Here is the story of how I was able to get it,,..

I have been doing custom Google Searches on Google Advanced search, I started searching for 4bt Cummins, within the last 24 hours timeframe. So whoever posted anything on the web with those keywords in the last 24 hours it would show up as a search result.

One of the search results were "I have a Cummins 4bt sitting in the shop that I would like to get rid of"
It was in a Classic/Hot Rod Forum, I clicked on it and read the thread. It was started by a guy looking for a small 4cyl diesel for a hot rod, and someone replied with the previous line. He was not interested in the 4bt because it was too big of a motor for his project.

So I joined that forum, just so I could shoot him a PM about the motor and he called me The Next Day! It turns out he owns a repair shop, and got this motor in for a customer a year ago. The customer never came in and paid for it and he wanted it out of his shop. He was great working with me for the next week while we worked out the logistics and the price.

Here is the scary part, The DAY that I booked the shipping company, and was overnighting the payment to him,.I got this email, from the seller.

Hold off on the money. The guy we got this for just called me!! A year later. Super sob story, but I would feel bad now taking what he has paid so far. He is supposed to bring me money when he gets his tax return to pay the balance of what he owes. Part of me really wants to just get rid of it, but I'll give him a week max. Hold off on your shipper. I apologize and will knock the price back if he doesn't come through. What's the odds of this guy calling me out of the blue 12 months later??!!

Great,...Now I am going to lose the motor, I thought,..had a lump in my throat,.Well I hopped on the phone and gave him a call to let him know that the shipper was already booked and paid for. He spoke for a while and he decided to go through with the sale.

I appreciated him working with me, and feel that I got a good deal on what appears to be a Good Motor!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks Travis,..

I pulled the trigger on Steves intercooler today, It is 33" wide by 9.5" tall. Hope to install it behind the bumper and not have to mess with all of the plow lines and wires. The bumper has cutouts for ventilation so it will sit right behind that. I am not really worried about high EGT's while winter driving, or plowing so I dont think the plow will be an issue blocking air. Hope it will be efficient enough to keep it cool. Not that the truck will be towing 12K trailers so it wont be working that hard anyway.

Here is a pic of the intercooler:

You must be registered for see images

I also bought this intrcooler tubing kit to put it all together:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180636726456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Waiting for the UPS man,....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Tonight I decided to get the motor pulled off of the Bread Truck Frame, and get it on the motor stand:

It went well thanks to the Forklift! Got the Scrap Metal loaded up and getting rid of that tomorrow.

Now I can start cleaning up the motor, and taking care of such things a KDP, removing the turbo, Gov Spring, Fuel Plate,things like that..

Looks like I am back to square one,..Or page one of this thread,..!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool story on how you got the new motor. Glad the sale went through for ya. I was going to get a pretty decent looking 50 ford pickup for free that way. Gal at work's dad had it, sold it to a dude who paid for it. 1yr later plus he'd never picked it up. Not knowing all this I asked her about it and she talked to her dad and he was like come get it. So i was going to get it the following weekend and low and behold the buyer showed up with a trailer and picked it up.

Just wondering, but you going to autopsy the old motor to try and see what is broken on it? Would be very interesting to know.

jwc

Reaction score
Rubber mounts on 4BT

I'm getting ready to start a 4BT swap into a 1981 Bronco, where would I find the rubber mounts that your using that are bolted on to the motor?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Cool story on how you got the new motor. Glad the sale went through for ya. I was going to get a pretty decent looking 50 ford pickup for free that way. Gal at work's dad had it, sold it to a dude who paid for it. 1yr later plus he'd never picked it up. Not knowing all this I asked her about it and she talked to her dad and he was like come get it. So i was going to get it the following weekend and low and behold the buyer showed up with a trailer and picked it up.

Just wondering, but you going to autopsy the old motor to try and see what is broken on it? Would be very interesting to know.

Thanks, Bummer you didnt get the truck, Its all in the timing and sometimes its not on your side!

I am not sure that there will be an autopsy on the old motor at this point. I may just put it up for sale, complete as a core motor. I can get more out of it together and complete than I can if I tear it apart. Just not sure what what way to go with it yet.

I'm getting ready to start a 4BT swap into a 1981 Bronco, where would I find the rubber mounts that your using that are bolted on to the motor?

The Rubber Motor Mounts are a standard Mopar mount from like a 85 Dodge Pickup. They are only about $7.00 from NAPA.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up,...The P Pump Motor Swap is scheduled for Next Saturday the 25th! We plan on getting it done in one day and back on the road!

Sounds like I am gonna have a little help from the Brotherhood on Sat also,..;Sweet

Stay Tuned,...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The Swap is ON!

The motor is sitting pretty with a new #10 fuel plate, 3000 Gov Spring and fresh coat of Cummins Tan!

Droopy is up in the air, Radiator out of it, and the oil is draining for the night.

Our resident Dog Catcher is coming to town to help out(he just loves to work on blue trucks!) and Bob here at the shop kept his day open to help get it done as well. Hope to have it on the road Tomorrow.

Oh By the way,...Its Snowing as I type this!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Quick update, **** Tan Motor is IN and Running! will post more tomorrow with pics when I have time, Gotta go for now!

Big thanks to Ron for coming up and helping today! Thanks Bud!

Later,..

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Anytime goat smuggler!;Sweet
Just wished the weather was a little better for the drive up. Fricken snow!:puke:
Now after only spending what, 30 minutes to fit the intercooler, I need to get Goldie's installed now.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance