Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i like that intercooler set up, it looks really clean! nice job

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It has been a very busy week and I have not had a chance to post how it went on the weekend swap untill now.

First of all Sorry for the marginal pictures, For some reason I think my camera went into a different mode and the pics didn't turn out as well as the previous pics. That or I was so excited about the progress that I couldn't hold the thing still,...:D

Bob and I got at the shop Saturday Morning at 8am and tore into it. By 9am the motor was swinging from the Cherry Picker:

You must be registered for see images

Then Ron showed up and we commenced to swapping parts from the old motor to the new one. This process took a lot longer than expected. Oil Pan, oil Pickup, Turbo, Power Steering and Vacume Pump, upper and lower water necks, alternator, all of the fittings for boost, oil pressure, temp senders etc.

New Motor on the cherry Picker: By now it was about 1:30. The biggest problem that we had was the power steering unit would not fit on the new motor without the fill neck hitting the bottom of the Injection Pump. What we ended up doing is to get a PS Pump from a Chevy Astro Van that uses a remote reservoir. We swapped out the reservoir on the pump itself and it fit with no problem. Now I just need to replace the fill hose with a remote reservoir. It is working fine for now.

Here is a pic of the PS pump:

Now it is about 4PM, the motor is in and runs in the engine bay but not completely wired up and we are test fitting the Intercooler, and piping: What was amazing is that we were able to use the Factory Intercooler Piping that came with the motor out of the step van. I just had to add an elbow to the turbo, and a couple of extensions. But the fit was perfect!

Test fitting the intercooler and piping:

That is as far as we were able to go on Saturday, We were done by about 5:30

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I had a lot going on Sunday but was able to head to the shop and work for a few hours, Got there by about 2PM and worked till 6PM. I got the motor wired up. I wanted to put the Injection Pump selinoid on a relay so it would get a full 12 volt. That seemed to work very well. I also had to get the intercooler fully installed.

Built a couple of brackets for the top of the intercooler, insulated it with some HD 3M rubber Tape and it fit very nicely in front of the radiator while the Rad sits in the stock location.

I had to get this thing DONE, and at the same time have the shop Cleaned up and ready for customers Monday Mornig at 9am. With all of the parts swapping it looked like 2 Cummins 4bts exploded their parts all over the place, but I had to head home by 6 to visit with relatives coming in from out of town,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Monday Morning, I am at the shop at 5AM. I wanted to drive it out of the shop and have it ready for the road,

My mission was finish the intercooler piping, install the radiator, fan shroud, fill it up with Antifreeze and let it run until it reached temp.

It was a success, I got the pipes cut some I cut twice,,. painted them Rustolium Hammered. Used the rest of the parts from the ebay IC Tubing kit I picked up.

here are the finished pics:

I was driving it out of a Cleaned up shop at 9am.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Driving Impressions:

So far I have logged 255 Miles on the truck this week. This motor is Smoother, quieter than the VE motor was. It is also much more tame. I can hit about 29 psi but have not ragged on the truck at all,..yet. There is NO black smoke coming out of the tailpipes so I have more room to play with the fuel.

The temp never goes over 190 but it does fluctuate from 160 to 190. The stock dash temp gauge stays very consistent at the low end of "normal"

The power is very good, better than the 5.0 V8 but again not what the VE pump motor was so I would like a little more.

That is the rundown for now. I want to say a big Thanks to Ron and Bob for taking their Saturday to help get this going, I would not have completed it over the weekend without their help! Thanks guys!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Looks great Darrin!:thumbsup:
Yeah I was litteraly done by 5:30.
That was one long productive day and been awhile since we've done that!;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL ;Sweet

If the stars all line up and I do a Cummins conversion (very unlikely, but I can still dream), I may have to find my way up to the experts in Michigan :angel:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL ;Sweet

If the stars all line up and I do a Cummins conversion (very unlikely, but I can still dream), I may have to find my way up to the experts in Michigan :angel:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL ;Sweet

You just need to save up some $$ and come to tx, there are lots of 12 valves for sale on cl out here. Just have to do some shopping to find the best deal.
Heck there is a first gen dodge cummins here in eastland for $2000 running. Guy says it needs the front end rebuilt but if it's going to be a donor that won't matter. ;Sweet:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice Darrin. You Michigan boys need to make a road trip south to KY and have some "fun" with me and my crew cab.LOL

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Very nice Darrin. You Michigan boys need to make a road trip south to KY and have some "fun" with me and my crew cab.LOL

Heath

There is so much fodder with that one I don't know where to begin! LOL

Heath if I didn't have a full plate right now I'd be game for a road trip. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need to save up some $$ and come to tx, there are lots of 12 valves for sale on cl out here. Just have to do some shopping to find the best deal.
Heck there is a first gen dodge cummins here in eastland for $2000 running. Guy says it needs the front end rebuilt but if it's going to be a donor that won't matter. ;Sweet:D
Don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me don't tempt me...

LOL

I love my IDI, I really do...just, barring a cheap cherry crew-cab dualie with a bad engine falling into my lap (came within $25 of happening in January :shocked: ), I don't think I can ever justify owning two trucks...and I've been wanting a 6BT to play with for almost 17 years now. So, it's about balancing wants and needs... :angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.