Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ididriver

Nice job darrin. And FAST too.
You coming down to Florida and doing my truck next?

Thanks, Yes it was fast, but it needed to be, Could not have been done without Bob and Ron helping out on Saturday. Things went Very Well!

Actually I will be flying into Tampa next Friday but will be a little too busy to be doing a Cummins Swap,..sorry,..

The Warden

BEAUTIFUL

If the stars all line up and I do a Cummins conversion (very unlikely, but I can still dream), I may have to find my way up to the experts in Michigan

Just do it,..you know you want it!;Really

hesutton

Very nice Darrin. You Michigan boys need to make a road trip south to KY and have some "fun" with me and my crew cab.

Heath

Thanks Heath,..A road trip may be arranged,..;Really Sounds like it would be fun!

I love my IDI, I really do...just, barring a cheap cherry crew-cab dualie with a bad engine falling into my lap (came within $25 of happening in January ), I don't think I can ever justify owning two trucks...and I've been wanting a 6BT to play with for almost 17 years now. So, it's about balancing wants and needs...

Yea I really wish you colud have gotten that truck,......

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The truck made it up to 350 miles with no issues! Very happy with the performance and driveablilty of this setup!

Things to work on next, Dropping the fuel tank to take care of a leak at the top of the tank, Then I can check what it is getting for fuel mileage.

There is a leak in the trans, so I need to find out where that is coming from.

The Tach is actually WORKING! but drops off at idle so I need to check on that. All other gauges are working as factory.

Still need to install a sender for the Oil Temp gauge but that is not really needed right now. It will happen at the first oil change so I can install it in the higher oil pan drain plug.

Also need a better power steering reservoir.

As for the motor, No leaks, no drips, no oil or antifreeze consumption, no misfires, etc. I started it today without being plugged in at 29 deg this morning, fired right off. There is no Grid Heater.

No real snow in the forecast, in fact temps into the mid 50's next week, so at this time in the season I may not need to plow till next winter,...now that it is done!

So far so good!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember reading it but what did you do for motor mounts? With both the 4bt and the 6bt that you have done?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
BOTH engines came as a ford swap so all Darrin had to do was swap the parts. he made out pretty easy i would say.

What he said,..:D

On Droopy I had to weld plates on the drivers side frame but both motors had the correct motor mount brackets on the Cummins.

'94IDITurbo7.3

looks great Darrin.

03-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Ironman03R

Glad to see the intercooler worked out. Looks better on there than in my garage! lol

Thanks Guys, Yea that Intercooler worked out PERFECT! Thanks!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Been off for a while guys Very busy with the car lot and helping out the family with my Mom.

Droopy 1400 miles later,...

The truck is running Awesome! I love the power, the noise and vibration, I have been working and driving it quite a bit, No snowplowing but have been towing cars with it from the auction and it pulls great! Still no fuel economy numbers as I have not had a chance to pull the fuel tank and take care of the leak at the top, but suffice it to say it is at least double the 5.0 that it replaced.

Here is the fun part, The cost of the 2nd motor. I know that I got a great deal on the in the frame P Pumped motor at $2100.00 shipped to my door. So I set off on selling my leftover Cummins to help defray my 2nd swap expenses.

Well suffice to say that it was a success, Here is what I sold:

I pulled the "new" VE Pump off the old motor and reinstalled the old pump. as well as the stock turbo. Put it together and sold as a complete motor core that needed rebuild. It sold for $1550.00 and the buyer came and picked it up from my shop.

The New Bosch VE Pump that I paid $450.00 shipped for, and installed a Fuel Pin and 3200 Gov Spring sold for $1,028.00

So with the motor and pump, and all of the extra stuff:

$1,550.00 Motor
$1,028.00 Pump
$700.00 Extra Cummins to Ford Adapter
$265.00 POD Injectors
$232.50 Stock 4bta Wastgeted Turbo
$76.00 Liquid filled Motor Mounts
$50.00 Motor Perches
$68.00 Ford T19 sp trans
$43.00 Air Cleaner Assembly
$31.00 Turbo Elbow
$104.00 Scrap out the rest of the frame rad and misc parts.

$4,147.50 Total in sales
-2,100.00 for the purchase of the 2nd 4bt
$2,047.50 money in my pocket.

So overall I am not real dissapointed that the first motor didn't work out, I ended up with a LOT better motor and a little more money in my pocket.

Of course there is my labor and more misc expenses involved, Intercooler, piping, oil, filters, stuff like that but overall I am real happy with the final outcome even tho it was a very frustrating project at times.

Next on the list along with the fuel tank is a Transmissino leak at the rear top of the Mazda 5sp Tranny:

You must be registered for see images

It is leaking from this star bolt that seems to be an adjustment for 5th gear. So I need to get that take care of:

Also will be taking off the Snow Tires and steelies, and installing the Summer Treads. Freshly polished Alcoas with SS Lugs and caps wrapped with a new set of 245 Michelins AT's .

Ill get some pics once I get them installed next week.

Thats it for now!

Thanks again guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc