Doing a rear brake job? READ THIS!

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we all know, not all brake shoes are created equal. As it turns out, even equal brake shoes are not created equal.

I did a brake job 6 mos ago or so on Maxine. I always buy the best parts I can get, but more and more, the only thing you can get at the parts house is junk. I've always bought riveted shoes, but they (Advance) didn't even offer them---even their "premium" brand was essentially repackaged low-grade bonded shoes. Anyway, I bought the crap--$22/set, and put them on.

After the job, I couldn't get my parking brakes to work. I farted around with the tensioner and the adjuster no no avail. Finally, now that she's due an inspection, I got around to digging deeper into it. Here's what I found (left side):

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, the parking brake pawl has ridden up over the shoe frame. Here's what it looks like when I took the parking brake assembly loose (right side):

If you look, you can see that the backing plate isn't flush with the rest of the frame, allowing only half of the support for the parking brake mechanism. :***:

So, now I've got my brakes apart in the middle of the driveway, and the only good set of shoes (Wagner) are special order only -- $115, 4-7 day delivery. :mad:

I got the first set from Advance, but hope springs eternal, so I went to O'Reilly's and looked at their set: $24, riveted, and a good steel frame with a bigger (and flush) backing plate. :D

Threw 'em on, adjusted them out, and my parking brakes work as they should. Moreover, my hydraulic brakes work (I would say better, but just WORK covers it) because when the pawl jumped the track, it jammed the front shoe into the drum so that it was dragging all the time, and rendered the rear shoe useless.

So, Advance $22 shoes -- junk. O'Reilly's $24 shoes -- good. But it may be luck of the draw; check the shoes in the box and see if you're getting riveted with a solid, properly reinforced frame.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
+1 on the Duralast. Never had a problem with them. Just sucks that they don't offer severe duty pads for the front of the OBS trucks. IIRC they don't have any severe duty rear shoes either.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for this information. I replaced my rear lining last year and that was the last time my parking brake worked. Rus aka typ4 mentioned the brake tab needs some welding to make the parking actuator work correctly. So when I feel like doing another rear brake job my plan is to purchase Ford oem shoes. The set I have on there now squeals loudly after they warm up. Bought them at O'reilly's too but darned if I can recall bonded or riveted.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the exact same problem that I noticed on my truck recently resulting in the parking brake not working and from the looks of things the shoes were probably dragging.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My adjusters worked for awhile with the duralast's. Until the adjuster cables snapped. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No dealer option?
Yea it will ring the $100.00 and over bell.
But a set for my yota at dealer are $80
Vatozone price I dunno.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I have no complaints yet about the shoes I put on the rear of the dually. The box says they are Wagner ANA 583R. They seem to be working well.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF9539.JPG
    DSCF9539.JPG
    818.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF9537.JPG
    DSCF9537.JPG
    771 KB · Views: 120

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed Centric Fleet Service (Listed as Severe Duty on RockAuto) shoes about three months ago, still working like a charm. Riveted, and went on properly when I did them. I also used Raybestos professional for every other part (I replaced everything but the parking brake levers).

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we all know, not all brake shoes are created equal. As it turns out, even equal brake shoes are not created equal.

I did a brake job 6 mos ago or so on Maxine. I always buy the best parts I can get, but more and more, the only thing you can get at the parts house is junk. I've always bought riveted shoes, but they (Advance) didn't even offer them---even their "premium" brand was essentially repackaged low-grade bonded shoes. Anyway, I bought the crap--$22/set, and put them on.

After the job, I couldn't get my parking brakes to work. I farted around with the tensioner and the adjuster no no avail. Finally, now that she's due an inspection, I got around to digging deeper into it. Here's what I found (left side):

As you can see, the parking brake pawl has ridden up over the shoe frame. Here's what it looks like when I took the parking brake assembly loose (right side):

If you look, you can see that the backing plate isn't flush with the rest of the frame, allowing only half of the support for the parking brake mechanism. :***:

So, now I've got my brakes apart in the middle of the driveway, and the only good set of shoes (Wagner) are special order only -- $115, 4-7 day delivery. :mad:

I got the first set from Advance, but hope springs eternal, so I went to O'Reilly's and looked at their set: $24, riveted, and a good steel frame with a bigger (and flush) backing plate. :D

Threw 'em on, adjusted them out, and my parking brakes work as they should. Moreover, my hydraulic brakes work (I would say better, but just WORK covers it) because when the pawl jumped the track, it jammed the front shoe into the drum so that it was dragging all the time, and rendered the rear shoe useless.

So, Advance $22 shoes -- junk. O'Reilly's $24 shoes -- good. But it may be luck of the draw; check the shoes in the box and see if you're getting riveted with a solid, properly reinforced frame.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

The last set I put on my truck were O'reillys "Brake best select" part #358 $22.99. I've had no issues with mine either, so maybe it's no fluke.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The last set I put on my truck were O'reillys "Brake best select" part #358 $22.99. I've had no issues with mine either, so maybe it's no fluke.

I looked at this pic again and found an issue. I see too much parking bolt pin threads sticking out of the backing plate. You guys do know there is a nut on the back of the backing plate to remove or install this pin for the parking brake lever. Usually its well covered in road dirt and grime. And very hard to reach or see. I think it is a 10mm nut but can't really recall for sure. Might be 7/16 too...

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that too. I gave the benefit of the doubt and just assumed he had it apart for cleaning & just took the pic before he had it buttoned up.

My view is that the entire rear brake assembly should be dismantled, thoroughly cleaned, and re-lubed before reassembly every time shoes are changed at least. Preferably every 10,000 miles if you want your self adjusters to work.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at this pic again and found an issue. I see too much parking bolt pin threads sticking out of the backing plate. You guys do know there is a nut on the back of the backing plate to remove or install this pin for the parking brake lever. Usually its well covered in road dirt and grime. And very hard to reach or see. I think it is a 10mm nut but can't really recall for sure. Might be 7/16 too...

It's 10 mm. Mine was a little bent on one side but it seems to work. The lever was bent and there was some major carnage in that drum when I opened it up.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never trust a previous owner with your life,
I pulled a shopping bag of wireing for trailer lighting out of the 88, some has welded to the chassis ,read no trailer brakes.
good catch Gary!