does this other thing need to come off the crank?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
im in the process of trying to finish up my ZF swap today and i just have a quick question i got the flexplate off and the spacer but theres a little lip thats behind the spacer does that need to come off? if it does is there a special why to do so?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

does that thing need to come out?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you have pictured here. The blurry pics cause me a concern. If you had a flexplate with a welded starter gear on it then the spacer behind it must come off the crank. Then there is nothing more you can remove from the crank. Even though your pics are blurry what I feel your showing is part of the crank and it wont come off. You will need a tran pilot bushing in the crank before you instal the trans. Without this bushing the trans imput shaft wiil ruin the bearing in the trans because it has no support on the end. Be careful about choosing a bushing. Some like the needle bearing type and some like the exotic kevlar type. Others with more actual experiance in this matter will chime in.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks to be nothing but the crank and if i remember correctly there is a spacer deal that actually holds the pilot bearing i just did all this the end of last month but my brain is a bit foggy after a few too many brews last night

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
yes i know about the pilot bushing/bearing and i took the spacer off. ive just seen pictures of cranks that nothing there at all they totally flat. i wasnt sure if that lip thats behind the spacer had to come off bat after looking i saw that i dont its just part of the crank