Does anyone...

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Sled pull their IDI? How do you do? I think with some of the developments joejohn is making and others we could get in on the work stock or 2.6 classes. Lower C/R, intercooled, moosepump, as much boost as you can throw at it, along with some **** or N20 we could do decent. Naw I havent put any tought into this :D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I remember seeing a vid of one pulling. It was pretty funny. The vid was about 9 minutes long and before the IDI came on around the half way mark there were a bunch of Cummins, powerstrokes, and duramaxes pulling. Then this beat up old IDI comes on, and gets a full pull or something close to it. Then when the truck starts slowing down it starts smoking alot, and then it complelty stops and he tries turning it off, but it started running on oil or something. It actually did pretty good.

I dont know the rules to sled pulling, but basically I think you just need some super low gears, say 5.88's, some fricking wide tires with tons of grip, lockers, and at least mildly tuned IDI (turbo, pump turned up, ect...). But maybe they wont let you run those gears or something, so I might be wrong.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Well I know a bit about pulling, no pro but a bit. Unless you have tons of power mild tread does fine, swamper sts's are pretty popular. With a more aggresive tread you will just break more parts. Super low gears arent required. FordGuy, that video you were talking about is a good one I love it lol, that IDI did start consuming crankcase oil and he might have broke something in the IP, not sure on the IP though. 93 Turbo, as for 6-700hp thats why I said work stock or 2.6 inducer class, you can only make so much power on a stock appearing turbo or a 2.6 I was just wondering whether any of the guys around here have done it.

Edit: before someone corrects me I know you cant run injectables in these classes.

Last edited:

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Sled pull their IDI? How do you do? I think with some of the developments joejohn is making and others we could get in on the work stock or 2.6 classes. Lower C/R, intercooled, moosepump, as much boost as you can throw at it, along with some **** or N20 we could do decent. Naw I havent put any tought into this :D

I have done it and it was fun, but there is always the worry of breaking something on the daily driver and like 93TA said you cant compete against the big guys.......and there usually isnt a class for guys like us around here so you pull in the same class as the big guys.

Attachments

• pulling4.jpg
    pulling4.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
  • pulling1.jpg
    pulling1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 17

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that to pull you'd have to build it specifically for doing that, and forget streeting it. You don't have to win to have fun. In fact, it might be more fun to show up pull after pull and never break (but never win either), then to see the "champion" greenade at the last minute and be out the rest of the season. A lot of pulling that I have seen, especially when they let street legals on, is a farce. You get so far up the track, to the point where the weight box gets over the wheels, and then that plate smacks down, and you stop dead no matter what your running HP wise. I've seen pulls where Mitchell built Dodges only outpull street legal trucks by 10 feet. Of course a lot of that depends on the sled, but I'd bet a lot of people would like to see an IDI out there, knowing that it is 20+ years old running against the latest computerized **** bang rigs.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Well next summer when I get some hours in again I plan to build mine for some pulling, especially if we get those mls headgaskets and affordable studs rolling.

Last edited:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I am going to DD mine but I have a backup rig too, I just like driving the ol IDI :D

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well around here theres not many classes to choose from so its an 8000lb single charger class and like I said you need some HP

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
well around here theres not many classes to choose from so its an 8000lb single charger class and like I said you need some HP

Same here! I did pull the sled around with mine last year. My best friends step son runs the fair pull and we always have fun "playing!" They tried to get me to hook, but I would have probably just torn things up, things I didn't have funds or time to fix, especially that time of year (fall) when I need my truck the most to move equipment, hay and such. Otherwise, it could sit a while broken as I don't DD mine.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I pulled with mine a couple of years ago and it was a ball! The truck did good. I think I placed 9th out of 25 trucks so I was happy with that. I have a vid of it on VHS just need to get it to digital and post it.

As far as breaking, I figure I have the same drivetrain as the PSD and Cummins guys with a lot less HP, So I am not worried about breaking styff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle