Does anyone have the official 7.3 ARP stud torque specs and sequence?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s seen some use, let me know if you have any questions.
You must be registered for see images attach

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This is pretty much the same directions for the 6.9 studs that I read online, except for the final torque (80 ft-lbs for the 6.9). The thing I don't get is, the ARP diagram does correspond to the Step 1 and Step 2 torque sequence in the Ford Service Manual, but the ARP document says "Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence..." But in the Ford IDI service manual, Steps 3 and 4 have a linear torque sequence, that is not diagrammed in the ARP directions. So I'm a little confused. Is the ARP sequence all the same for Steps 1-4, or does the ARP sequence recommend doing the Ford Service sequence of 1 & 2, then linear 3 & 4?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
So according to these instructions, would you torque then to 125 ft/lbs 3 times, or 3 steps of 41.6(repeating) ft/lbs up to 125? I've never seen head bolt or stud torque directions not specify the exact torque of each step.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So according to these instructions, would you torque then to 125 ft/lbs 3 times, or 3 steps of 41.6(repeating) ft/lbs up to 125? I've never seen head bolt or stud torque directions not specify the exact torque of each step.

3 steps of 42, 84, 125 ft/lbs, that is how I would interpret that instruction.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The confusing thing about the ARP instructions is they say "Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence..."

However, the "recommended manufacturer" instructions have 2 sequences for torquing down the head bolts, where step 1 and step 2 correspond to the ARP diagram, but steps 3 and 4 are a "linear" sequence, which is different than the ARP instructions. I'm just going to assume that ARP is saying to use the manufacturer sequences for all torque steps.

All the times I torqued my ARP studs down on my 7.3's, I always did the ARP diagrammed sequence for all 4 steps. The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm working on a comprehensive IDI bolt dimension, thread, and torque listing, and the ARP instructions seemed a bit counter intuitive.

Main article: http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/7-3-idi-torque-specs-and-bolt-dimensions-with-images/

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the 6.9's, we always did a final torque of 80 lb/ft twice. The first time,we would follow the same sequence as the first two times. On the last one, we would go linear across the bolts. Why? I don't know. That's just how I was told to do it, so I did. Thanks, Thewespaul. I would have only gone to 100 when I do my studs.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me the line sequence just insures you have double checked all the bolt torque values and not missed one in the first pattern.