Do our trucks really NEED Turbos?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich have you looked at the IDM? I have heard that this was a common problem on that year PSD. A friend of mine had a van with the same problem, bad IDM. A new one from IH for around $30 fixed him right up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
Rich have you looked at the IDM? I have heard that this was a common problem on that year PSD. A friend of mine had a van with the same problem, bad IDM. A new one from IH for around $30 fixed him right up.

your taking about something else.the IDM on a ford is a ford only part that costs $700.00.can not buy it from IH no matter what you try to call it.the IH IDM is in the ECM bolted to the valve cover in thier trucks.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tractorman86 said:

Injector Driver Module.it is used on the powerstroke trucks it controls the injectors by shooting 115-140 volts to them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, is that these engines were designed for a market that had never seen a decent diesel pickup before. The average buyer of one of these trucks was going to be a dyed in the wool gas motor man. In order to sell him on this engine, it had to be quick off the line. I.E. - NO TURBO LAG. So, the motor was designed specifically to kick but without a turbo. High compression - V8 configuration. Lots of cubes. The PSD on the other hand was designed to REQUIRE a turbo. They went with a wastegated model to try and keep the turbo lag in check. So in theory, from a standing start, an IDI probably can stomp a PSD. As the years went on though, and diesel acceptance was achieved, more power was needed to keep the competition in check. A turbo was hastily added to the IDI to gain a 10HP increase, and amount intentionally limited to make the first generation PSD look like a better alternative. From there, the Ford/Chevy/Dodge horsepower war took over, and the rest is history in the making. Do our engines NEED a turbo? No, not if your satisfied with what it's doing for you. Our Lady Moose is still NA, and pulls a combined 16K around with relative ease. Does she get passed by lots of PSD's pulling campers? You bet. Other IDI's too. Ones with turbos.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94F450SD, Something isn't right with your rig:confused: . Have you had the timing checked? Diesel engines are extreemly sensitive to the timing and if it's off a hair they don't like it.

I just finished my trip to Texas last night logging 3160 miles pulling a light flatbed trailer with 3000+ lbs worth of garden tractors & stuff on it for the last half of the trip and never had a problem accelerating on ramps up to 65 - 70 mph or pulling grades at a minimum of 55 MPH on the rolling hills on I-20 and averaged 15.9 MPG for the entire trip....and I'm running 3.08 gears on a bone stock naturally asperated IDI so it should be a dog.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
700 bucks? I could ahve sworn that IDM was not that much, but I didn't have to by it, and honestly maybe it turned out to be something else. I thought this was a common problem on the 94-97 trucks.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
common problem on the 94.5-97 trucks is the CPS(crank position sensor)wich is around 100.00 from IH and 260.00 from ford

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
700 bucks? I could ahve sworn that IDM was not that much, but I didn't have to by it, and honestly maybe it turned out to be something else. I thought this was a common problem on the 94-97 trucks.

What we were getting at earlier is that some of the 94 trucks still have idi's in them, like Rich's truck. He doesn't have an IDM, or a CPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.