Do our trucks really NEED Turbos?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Maybe something's funky with my pump and timing, I don't know. I got in a "drag race" today, with a powerchoke 4x4 manual, and won. What made the difference, is knowing how and when to shift.
Keep in mind, I've been a truck driver for 15 years, So I'm aware of optimum shift points, Whereas the kid in the powerjunk kept hitting the governor.
Even with the ameture driving, it wasn't a blowout, but still. I don't feel underpowered at all. Certainly not enough to justify dumping more than the cost of my truck on a hair dryer.
I'm just wondering, how much of the under power complaints could be cured by proper shifting? Does this sound arrogant? It's not meant that way. Just an observation. [flamesuit]

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I can only tell you that the reports from the same drivers, driving the same trucks--when they compare their own trucks' befroe and after adding the turbo--there is a world of difference.

I used to out corner a 911 Porsche while driving my Taurus---there is something to be said for the ability of the driver.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, driver skill has alot to do with the performance of any vehicle. I think a turbo would help out with acceleration. My truck is kinda a slug. If i really get into it it can go a bit faster, but i think a turbo would help.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I drove my truck for about a year in its original NA state before I had Banks install a turbo while I was out on the left coast. I can tell you that it is not even in the same league with its prior capabilities--particularly if you are climbing, or driving with a load, trailer, or at any elevation. Much more power, even at only 8# of boost, which is all my setup puts out.

Very much worth it to me. Drive one and see what you think.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
How much more power would your engine develop with you driving than if I was driving. Drag racing on the street is probably not the best way to determine the power output of your engine. You were talking about how much more power your truck engine made with you driving weren't you??

Jim

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep it does make a difference and big one but you wont see it on a drag race, the difference is pulling a load. Try doing the same with the powerjocke with a trailer behind and you'll see wy the turbo makes the difference. ;Really

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Just making an observation. My truck has plenty of power. I've seen it here a time or two, and over at the other place, people complaining that their trucks are slow, sluggish, whatever. As an aside, I've noticed that many folks with manuals in diesels rev way too high, and wait too long to shift, just like they were driving a gasser. It would get rolling alot faster if they shifted between 2200 and 2500.
now, on the 6.9 in the Tremor, I may put a turbo and propane, but that's just for showing off, and to maximize the value should I ever decide to sell it.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i know someone might try to call :bs but i beat a z28 comaro on the freeway one morning on the way to work :Sly :backoff ! you should have seen the smoke though :rotflmao :draw !!! i would have to say it is about 60% driver

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
tractorman86 said:
i know someone might try to call :bs but i beat a z28 comaro on the freeway one morning on the way to work :Sly :backoff ! you should have seen the smoke though :rotflmao :draw !!! i would have to say it is about 60% driver

Or a very sick Z28!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
from a start I beat a guy jogging.

he almost had me, but I've got three gears, and he only has one.... once I got up to 25mph he didn't have a chance.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Well from driving The Warden's truck before and after the turbo i will say that it does make a difference but he also did a tranny swap too which proably helped,. But i can also say that driving the same engine cars one turbo and one NA it helps me coem to the conclusion it does help.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
"plenty" of power is a relative term. I never had a real problem with slowing down when going uphill, but some people do. That would call that underpowered.

Maybe your pump is turned up, or the guy racing you was an idiot. Turbos raise the efficiency as well, so they are never a bad thing.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 94 has a turbo and is an auto but i get passed by people on bicycles with it.i think a freekin yugo has more balls than this truck.with 5.13 gears you would think it could pull a house down or smoke the tires off from a standing start.

when my PSD was stock it would stomp a mudhole in that IDI.i cant even climb a small grade unloaded never mind loaded with one car.the fastest i can go up the hill by my house with it is 30MPH with the overdrive off and EGT around 950 and 4PSI of boost empty.loaded,forget it i usually take the flatter road on the other side of the hill.my PSD will climb it in overdrive with the egt floating around 700 and 25PSI boost at 55MPH.

getting on the highway with the IDI is another experiance.comeing off the on ramp at 50MPH it takes forever to get it up to 65-70MPH with the EGT floating around the 1200 mark with 6PSI of boost :eek: and forget about trying to pass people on the highway or on back roads.

and fuel mileage?thats a laugh!im probably getting 8MPG unloaded if im lucky.my PSD gets 16.5 no matter how i drive it or what program my chip is on.

sorry to say but the IDI is gonna be sold/traded for a truck with a PSD in it or its getting a PSD conversion in the very near future.as i said before i can deal with low fuel mileage if it had balls,and i can deal with low power if it had great fuel mileage.but im not deal with no balls and low fuel mileage.

i even have the waste of 800 bux ATS upgrade kit with full exhaust.i cant turn the pump up cuz my EGTs are already sky high.and since this is my money maker/taker i cant chance haveing a melt down.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
94F450SD, It sounds to me like you've got problems. I'm N/A and stock as far as I know, with 3.55's, In 5th gear at 25-30 MPH at the bottom of Alby hill I put my foot down on it, and I'm doing 55 by the top. I'm not exactly sure what the grade is, but the Cement mixers that pull out in front of me can't up shift until the top. If I had to guess, I'd say it's about a 6%.
I can't believe that I have some kind of special "black ops" engine or anything, I'm positive it hasn't been "cranked up", It was an old farmers truck, with 89,000 actual miles on it, and it doesn't smoke at all, apart from a little white smoke when it starts first thing in the morning. I have no problem passing or merging.
Have you had your injectors tested? How's your timing? Pump in good shape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online