Do our trucks really NEED Turbos?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remanned pump and new injectors with probaly 5,000 miles on them.a squirt of stanadyne performance formula in every tank.a little over 100,000 miles on the motor.timings good to go.

sassyrel

Reaction score
still 94--somethings wrong--mine wont even move the temp--and will rock and roll--have had car trailer on behind with a wd45 diesl on it--and it stil would move out--the trans was beginning to not like it though--me thinks need to start at square one with it---

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
RIch, I agree there is something wrong with your IDI, 6 psi and 1200 on the EGT, is a real problem. Not shure what to point at, but it sounds like you got rid of the factry Down Pipe, and replaced the whole exhaust? is that correct?

Jist a couple observations:
It sounds like something is restricting the intake or the exhaust side, or possibly there is a turbo leak so you are getting more fuel in and not enough air to create boost, and lower egt's. Do you have a lot of black smoke?

Just thinking out loud here,..

Darrin

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i replaced the complete exhuast with the ATS 3" kit with upgraded turbine housing and outlet elbow(biggest waste of $800.00!!!!!!!).it smokes but only under a load or if iam hammering on it.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
There is definately something amiss.

My motorhome with Samurai behind is a little over 15,000 lbs and doesn't slow down much for hills. I have a non-wastegate Hypermax with a 2 1/2" down pipe into dual 3" exhaust. Hood mount cool air intake.

The pump is stock with the screw turned up 2 1/2 flats. On a long pull I see 12 psi boost and if I use the propane I see 13 1/2 psi. at 12 psi I see about 1000 degrees and with propane about 1050 degrees. I NEVER see smoke.

Jim

1992-6.9

Reaction score
In regards to the original post, I don't know if they necessarily 'need' a turbo. That is more of a want, but for emissions and efficiency and of course 'more fun' factor, then yes a turbo is a good idea. I was next to a p-stroke today, probably a '96, same config as my truck, just not a longbed going up towards evergreen which is a pretty good climb and he had it pinned and I kept up with him....I should mention though, he was pulling a fifth wheel camper and a boat LOL :backoff and I was empty :rotflmao. Oh well... Oh yeah, my EGT was right at 1,250...so I had to back out a bit

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom is that a turbo IDI mildly turned up will ahng with or in some cases beat a bone stock 1st Gen PSD. The modified PSDs will invariably eat an IDI for luunch. I keep asking myself whether the truck really needs the turbo or not, and I feel like I don't need it, but just want to have it for a cool factor. Also, I think something may be wrong with Rich's truck, but remember an F450 is 14,000lbs before he puts a thing on it....5.13 gears are very low, you'd think that you'd get to 55 in a heartbeat and then screaming against teh governor...but apparently not. I just went from 4.10s to 3.55s in my F250 and I can almost jump right up to 65 as soon as I get on the interstate. Now I know once I put the boat back there it will be slower and that's where the turbo would help. The PSD CG raced might have been a truck with 3.31s or something, some real tall gears or some kind of problem, but it still should have beaten him. They can make an incredible amount of power, but stock trim was only 210hp at the crank, 6.9 was 175 HP, that's only a difference of 35HP,a dn I think a turbo and slight increase in fuel delivery adn dump the factor exhaust will amke up for that difference easily.

tractorman86

Reaction score
94f450sd how's ur tranny they can eat up a lot of power if something goes arey there is no way that thing is putting out those numbers and still be that slow something is definately wrong

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tranny is perfect as far as i know.it also has a litlle less than 100.000 miles on it.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
When I first got my '92 turboed CC with a 5spd, it had 145,00 miles on it and would pull like a ***** ape up to about 90mph (unloaded and in the mountains). At 250,000 when I sold it, still ran very good but was ready for IP and injectors. My daughters NA '91 SC with stock size tires and 4.10's can spin the tires at will. It is also a 5spd, but it's screamin at 75mph. No problem getting there, just doesn't want to go much faster. My wifes truck falls in between with 3.73's and 285/75 tires. Does pretty good on the flats, but starts to struggle on long grades and in the mountains. Also, keep in mind we live at 6000' so I'm relatively happy that the two normally aspirated trucks have any power at all.

Tom

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well sounds like the waste gate is not working properly should be up around 10psi atleast more like 12 with a load mine will smoke my PSD with ease also last post I read it seemed like your PSD wouldn't run on any more then 7 cylinders maybe you just have bad luck with trucks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my max boost is around 7-8 PSI.

right now my PSD is messed up.but when it was stock wich was over a year ago it would stomp a mudhole in that IDI with ease.ive had the IDI for 4 1/2 years and had the psd a little over a year.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
the big difference is pulling ang going up hills the turbo will show up more there i went through the new england mtns with a box camper and found myself in trouble going up a few hills lol
im looking to go in for a turbo have to save up first