disturbing noise

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my nephew fell through with the toolbut I found what I needed at oriellys for about $5. Its been averaging 105 or 6 with a 108 on occasion so I haven't been working on the truck much. Caught a break in the heat yesterday with 99* so I worked on it last night and got it all back together. I put the batt charger on it over night and have a grandson birthday this morning. I will start it this afternoon.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the spring looked cooked the guide is bad, it is the single biggest failure with these engines, every one in the yards around here my friends find has a dropped valve/broken spring.. The heads need to come off and be rebuilt.

It will do it again and then the keepers leave.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fired it up a minute ago. Not good, the knock is still there and a lot of blow by. I'll pull the head while my Son in law is home for the next few days. He is a relief captain on a tow boat works 20 and off 10. So I've got him for about 7 more days. As I know more I'll post it.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pulled the heads last night. The head gaskets looked good other than the head bolt had been GORILLAED down. A bent push rod and my son in law said "that doesn't look right," and touch the top of the pass side back piston. It dropped an inch. He ****** his hand back like he had been bitten and exclaim"S@#t". I stood there trying to take in what I thought I had just seen. At first glances everything looked good. No dings, nothing beaten or broken (that can be seen).

The crankcase is filled with coolant and oil in the cooling system. I haven't pulled the pan yet to see the damage from that angle. But I thinking block worms at this point.

The question at this point is, do I replace that sleeve and keep going with this motor or try and find a good 6.9 to put my factory turbo on?

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just dont know. you will haft to look at the bottem end an go from there.well guess you dont need the valves good luck :dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics please. Everyone likes a little carnage. If you we're closet I have a couple motors.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I have a 7.3 in a 94 that I have had running, but I would say to rebuild it rather than just drop it in. As far as I can tell it's a factory turbo as it has the ats on it. I want to keep the turbo for my truck but if you want one to rebuild I'll let it go for a reasonable price. The po parked it because it was using oil and it does have a lot of blow by but no mixing of the fluids. I don't have a correct mileage figure as the odo doesn't show, but the po told me 140k ish. Although you know how that goes. I can get you some pics if you want, just pm me your cell number.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.3 in a 94 that I have had running, but I would say to rebuild it rather than just drop it in. As far as I can tell it's a factory turbo as it has the ats on it. I want to keep the turbo for my truck but if you want one to rebuild I'll let it go for a reasonable price. The po parked it because it was using oil and it does have a lot of blow by but no mixing of the fluids. I don't have a correct mileage figure as the odo doesn't show, but the po told me 140k ish. Although you know how that goes. I can get you some pics if you want, just pm me your cell number.

Do you know if the PO maintained the SCA's in the coolant. Mine had a blue/white smoke and a bit of blow by. I played with the timing and got rid of the smoke after it warmed up. I know now that the smoke was the beginning of bloke worms. If it doesn't smoke white blue/white, we may be in business.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It did smoke white the few times I ran it. It didn't smell like coolant and it has been parked for a couple years before I got it. I have since taken the radiator for my driver so I don't know about running it for a vid. If i can get another radiator on it I don't mind running it so you can see.
I didn't ask about sca's as I considered it as parts when I bought it. I understand being gun shy about cavitation since yours has succumbed to it. I definitely don't want to sell you another with the same thing.
I didn't even try to start it before buying. I hoped that I'd get lucky and it would be a runner that was misdiagnosed. But I was looking at the ats on it and body panels for my driver and wasn't really concerned if it ran or not.
It may be a couple weeks but I'll see about putting a radiator on it and getting it started to get a vid.