disturbing noise

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove to town to help a friend that had a water pump lock up on him this morning and on my way there I notice that every now and then my truck seem to loose a little power and then regain it. About a 1/2 mile before I got there I started hearing a whop, whop, whop coming from the engine and it seemed down on power. I slowly drove to where I was going and had a look under. The noise is coming from the top back of the engine the best I can tell. It is not a hard metallic, that's not to say there seems to be a metallic quality to the sound. HELP!

randomq

Reaction score
Have you checked the oil? Friend of mine ran really low on oil, caused issues with the lifters and caused a loud popping in the intake. He filled it back up and didn't seem to have any further issues.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a while, but when I read your OP, the first thing that came to mind was "Better check your valvetrain..."

You can run the motor without the valve covers, just do it one at a time and observe the valvetrain with engine off and then with engine on. Don't race it, oil will get all over the place!!!

With engine off, you are looking for obvious problems like backed off rocker nuts, broken valve springs, undone valve stem keepers and the like...

With engine on, look to see if all the valves are going up and down... The valves are either intake or exhaust and are paired intake and exhaust together... Look and see, you will find the valves grouped in pairs, one's intake and the other's exhaust... With that said, compare all of the intakes of each grouping and see if they are traveling the same amount and then do the same with the exhaust and see if they all travel the same amount.

After that, if you don't find anything out of the ordinary, then button everything up and do a compression test to see if you have lower compression, it can be a burned valve and those are generally exhaust valves...

I keep hearing things like one way to check for this is to take a piece of paper and place it close to the end of the exhaust pipe and see if the paper gets sucked to the opening... I really can't see how the the air column can be forced to do a complete reversal like that with a bad valve, but that's just me...

Check the valvetrain though, if you drop a valve, then it's new engine time!!!

I sincerely hope you find the problem and get it fixed with the least amount of cash!!! ;Sweet

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling the valve covers today to check all of this out. I crawled up on the engine yesterday evening and listened to it and felt around the turbo and exhaust. It was my son in law that said he thought it was the top back that he thought it was coming from. After it had cooled down and I got up there I'm thinking front pass side. I'll post more on it later today.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
A stethoscope from the parts house always seems to work wonders for me and locating noises, especially on loud ass diesels.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A stethoscope from the parts house always seems to work wonders for me and locating noises, especially on loud ass diesels.

I just asked my wife where our old stethoscope was. No luck there, and town is 15 miles away. I did use a long screw driver next to my ear and had no luck there, but I couldn't reach everywhere.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm degreased and back under the a/c. I'm not sure what to think, the front valve on the pass side can be turned by hand. Even rocked a little. The spring is soft enough that I can depress it a little, and grainy carbon is caked all over it. So much so I can't tell if the spring is broken or not. I'll replace it in a day or two and if I can still turn it or rock it i'll pull the head. Any and all thought and advice is welcome.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi traveler if you haft to pull the haed an need parts i have a crack head that has new valves and spring that will in up at the scrap yard all yours

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi you should know that these have over size valvestems so you can have your head done right we will be passing your way at the end july headed for wyoming if that helps . good luck with your truck .just did my haeds . had one bad head an one bad head gasket on op side.got that done haft to get inlection pump. been bad spring for the old truck but it will pull throu

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a while, but when I read your OP, the first thing that came to mind was "Better check your valvetrain..."

You can run the motor without the valve covers, just do it one at a time and observe the valvetrain with engine off and then with engine on. Don't race it, oil will get all over the place!!!

With engine off, you are looking for obvious problems like backed off rocker nuts, broken valve springs, undone valve stem keepers and the like...

With engine on, look to see if all the valves are going up and down... The valves are either intake or exhaust and are paired intake and exhaust together... Look and see, you will find the valves grouped in pairs, one's intake and the other's exhaust... With that said, compare all of the intakes of each grouping and see if they are traveling the same amount and then do the same with the exhaust and see if they all travel the same amount.

After that, if you don't find anything out of the ordinary, then button everything up and do a compression test to see if you have lower compression, it can be a burned valve and those are generally exhaust valves...

I keep hearing things like one way to check for this is to take a piece of paper and place it close to the end of the exhaust pipe and see if the paper gets sucked to the opening... I really can't see how the the air column can be forced to do a complete reversal like that with a bad valve, but that's just me...

Check the valvetrain though, if you drop a valve, then it's new engine time!!!

I sincerely hope you find the problem and get it fixed with the least amount of cash!!! ;Sweet

I use the piece of paper to check quad and motorcycle valves, works good for all it is