Disappearing coolant?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
So between the time I pulled the radiator, drained/flushed the entire system, replaced with Fleetcharge and installed my coolant filter and about last September, I had to add a gallon of coolant. Between then and about last month I had to add another gallon, then almost another full gallon this evening.

The kicker? NO LEAKS, but I also haven't had any oil or coolant mixing with each other, nor have I experienced any hydrolock.

Hairline cracks in the cylinder walls that only open when hot maybe? Head gasket weeping into the cylinders when hot but not the oil passages? Anyone ever experience this sort of thing?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure test the cooling system. Could even have a cylinder pinhole from cavitation

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Is there a really cheap way to do that and do it without destroying the t-stat? If I have to pay someone to do it, I'll be dumping in distilled water at $0.80 a gallon until I get a job callback (fingers crossed). Really hoping it's not block worm, but the truck did have universal green coolant in it when I bought it however many years ago.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely it's a leak somewhere(heater hose at firewall?) or failing head gasket. It might only leak or use coolant when hot, when warming up, or only under a heavy load.
Leaks you can detect with dye and a UV flashlight. Head gasket leaks you might be able to smell... if it's using a lot.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
All the hoses were replaced with new a couple of years ago (and are still in good shape) as well as all new clamps with no evidence of external leaks anywhere and definitely no coolant smell.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. Just add UV dye and check engine with a black light. Best way to find distilled coolant leaks.Nearly impossible to find distilled water leaks but...normal well or domestic water leaks will leave behind hard water stains from minerals in the water.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dye and pressure test for sure. My kids Malibu was loosing coolant and couldn't figure it out until we had a shop do this. Found a hairline crack in the resivor. Replaced it then found a loose clamp that was brand new, yes I put the clamp on when I changed the t-stat so just because it has all new hoses and clamps doesn't nessecarily mean they aren't leaking.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my engine leaked from the back corner of the HG. it would never drip but only leak when i was on the highway. my rear mud flaps would get wet but it would dry up on the engine before i could track it. i eventually found the stain marks.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Did you try replacing the radiator cap?
I've had a weak cap not seal and the coolant/water evaporated when hot.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can buy a cooling pressure tester kit. All they do is attach to the radiator in place of the cap. Then you pump up a hand pump to your desired pressure and watch the gauge. If it drops, you can then try to find the leak on a cool engine with pressure in the cooling system. Helpful hint: do the test with a full system. Air compresses easier than liquid. It takes a lot more pumping to build pressure if the system's low on coolant.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to wait for income to try these things, unless Autozone rents pressure tester kits.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They probably do. That's one place I was thinking about if you can't afford to buy one right now.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
We finally had a Harbor Freight move into town recently. Unfortunately I can't swing any cash to buy the kit just yet (but I sure will eventually). I can swing the AZ deposit, but only because I'll get it back, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online