Disappearing coolant?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think the nearest person to me is Nick, but he has already given me an engine (big step). I didn't think of making a manifold to pressurize and gauge the drop via a heater hose, but that would require a check valve in there (I've got one somewhere). We're about to get very busy here, so I'm planning on renting the kit when I can. Hoping the cause is a head gasket venting when hot (since I'm planning a head swap anyway), or the radiator cap.

I did notice some discoloration around the radiator filler neck, so I'm going to start by cleaning the top of the radiator and seeing if the discoloration returns.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a hard time in the past getting rad caps that would seal well, I bet that’s your cause.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It's been on since I've had the truck and looks to be original. I had the research saved once, before one of my previous updates deleted all my bookmarks. I can't recall what 13 lb caps were recommended. I like the idea of the Mr. Gasket ones with the temp gauge on them, but the 16 lb one I had on the 300 never sealed (very obvious leakage).

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I didn't think of making a manifold to pressurize and gauge the drop via a heater hose, but that would require a check valve in there (I've got one somewhere).

K.I.S.S.
LOL
Put in one of the cheapo flush things that hooks up to a garden hose.
Drill hole through plastic cap it comes with (or another 3/4"GH thread cap) and put in a valve stem.

https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W
I pay $1.50 for valve stems locally, you could do it for less than $10 total..........

Myself, I have a 3/4"FGH to 1/4" FPT brass fitting on a pressure regulator already, I used to use it for blowing out sprinkler systems as part of the winterization for them.
Regulator or valve stem would act as your check valve.