Diesel to gasser

Travis Skavenski

Reaction score
Ok gang I know I’ll probably get shade for this but given financial situations it seems cheaper I had a 92 7.3 idi that hydro locked on me ripped the engine out and the block turned out to be no good now my question is I can get a 5.8 same year what all is needed to put the gasser in the diesel body other than wiring harness and ecm and cluster is it a direct bolt in with the correct motor mounts or am Igonna have to swap cross members as well

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You’re gonna have to swap transmissions also. The bolt pattern isn’t the same..... Ford has 3 bolt patterns for transmissions in the trucks. Small Block (I.E. 302, 351), Bib Block (I.E. 460) and Diesel......

Travis Skavenski

Reaction score
You’re gonna have to swap transmissions also. The bolt pattern isn’t the same..... Ford has 3 bolt patterns for transmissions in the trucks. Small Block (I.E. 302, 351), Bib Block (I.E. 460) and Diesel......
Ok so other than that it’s a pretty straight forward swap trying to get my truck back

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't find another diesel for a reasonable price?

Here's some hits from Pa.

7.3L (VIN M, 8th digit, diesel),ENG TESTED,7.3L 18711 $1000 Hartlaub's Used Auto Parts USA-PA(Gettysburg) Request_Quote 717-637-1990 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Assembly
Ford Truck F350 TESTED GOOD VBP122 $Call Frankie's Used Auto Parts USA-PA(Gettysburg) Request_Quote 717-334-6616 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Assembly
Ford E350 Van
You must be registered for see images attach
7.3L (VIN M, 8th digit, diesel) tested great 248,000 C 200618 $Call C.D. Cain Auto Parts, Inc. USA-PA(Gettysburg) Request_Quote 717-624-9393 / 888-622-9393 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Assembly
Ford Truck F450
CORE, RUNS, INJECTOR O RINGS LEAKING AA4412 $Call Essington Ave Auto Parts USA-PA(Philadelphia) Request_Quote 215-492-1990 / 215-492-5700 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Assembly
Ford Truck F250
DROVE IN YARD,RUNS GREAT,7.3L (VIN M, 8th digit, diesel) 127,129 A 20012 $1000 Rarey's Auto Service & Sales USA-PA(Warren) Request_Quote 814-723-6489 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Assembly
Ford Truck F450 GOOD COMP-139K 139,000 A BCL39 $Call Bucks County Used Auto Parts USA-PA(Pipersville) Request_Quote 215-766-7700 Request_Insurance_Quote

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't forget about the fuel system. By the time that you're done with all of this, it may not be cheaper than finding another 7.3.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda like a 6 change gone wrong:dunno

No burning on you Travis;)

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care if it's a gasser or a diesel. But I am getting old so I like easy. It would be easier to get a gas truck.

Or you could look at this as a opportunity to install a cummins. What am I saying? While that would not be hard, it would not be cheap, and I am cheap too.

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sheeeeeett...I'd trade my diesel for a big block gas truck today without even thinking about it..if I could find a similar truck. Given that I have a crew cab 5 speed 4x4 dually..that's not likely to happen, lol. Both of my diesels were purchased because they were cheap deals at the time, and in the case of the Ford - specifically being a crew cab 5 speed 4x4.

But both diesels have been been an expensive pain in my ass, and I'm definitely not getting anywhere even remotely close to breaking even from MPG savings. Both times I went looking for a big block gas truck, both times I found "better deals" on diesels, and I regret buying both of them.

Justin B

Reaction score
I went the other direction and did an idi swap into an F150, it still needs some loose ends squared away but it's just about road ready. Things that come to mind that I had to do were motor mounts, gas engine mounts were riveted to the cross member, had to grind out the rivets. There's a hole in the cross member of the gas trucks that allows access to the oil filter, the holes not present on the F250 HD, maybe it's there on the 3/4 tons that came as gas jobs? I didn't have to change the cross member for the direction I went (diesel to gas). The truck I built originally had the 5.0, not sure where the 5.8 oil filter is positioned but could be an issue for you, it would suck to have to loosen motor mounts and jack the engine up just to change the oil.. I swapped the wiring harness, gauge cluster, battery tray, rad support, radiator and fuel system. I had good diesel tanks on my donor so I grabbed those, the lines and everything. Depending on the year of 5.8 you go with, think fuel injection, you'll need in-tank fuel pumps and all the related items. If you have a donor sitting next to it, then you should be good.. however, looking back, I wouldn't do it again. I just happened to have a trashed (badly rusted out) F250 diesel donor and a solid F150 gasser body with no motor in the yard. It's a lot of parts swapping and without the donor and my other factory F250 diesel to compare to I would have given up. Devil's in the details. I would say look for a running gas truck and use parts from your current rig if they're in good shape (interior, body), or find a good running diesel to throw in to your truck.. I have a 1987 6.9 in my 1990 F250 now, the $250 motor was too good to pass up when I found bad valve guides on the original engine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
not sure where the 5.8 oil filter is positioned but could be an issue for you, it would suck to have to loosen motor mounts and jack the engine up just to change the oil..
As far as I know, the 5.8s had the oil filter in the same place as the 5.0s. If there's no hole in the crossmember, the solution would be to install a remote oil filter.

Travis Skavenski

Reaction score
My goal is to find a somewhat complete donor truck that’s been wrecked but the engine runs and swap everything over it has a spotless frame and cab I’d hate to just waste it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online