diesel run away tonight while going down the road

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still can't wrap my head around it. You can watch all the videos, or even have one run away on you while parked...it's nothing like it happening when driving down country roads heading into a busy town. nothing.

I had a reman installed in my truck, along with a south bend clutch, and a million other things. Finally got called to come pick it up today. So i drive over there, everything looks fine. starts and idles great. I drive a mile down the road, fuel up, and make it about 4 miles down the road and the "engine temp" light comes on..but the gauge reads dead center. It starts sputtering, and coughing white/grey smoke. I shove the clutch in and coast into a parking lot and call for them to come tow it back.

We get it there and one of the mechanics who didn't work on it, but knows quite a bit about these, offers to check it out while i'm there. He lets it idle for a good hour, and the temp is fine so he offers to take it for a ride with me. While pulling 2nd to 3rd, it took off. nothing, and i mean nothing he did could stop it. I don't think they make brakes big enough to stop these rigs wide open like this. it was like a freaking train, pouring black smoke, and accelerating by the second. it just kept sucking fuel and barreling down the road. It was at the point where i was about to tell him to just ditch it into the woods before we killed everybody coming into town. He kept turning the key off, stalling it, but no dice, tach was pinned and it wasn't in the mood to quit. Somehow, ******* somehow, before we killed ourselves or someone else, when he turned the key off another time and just held it on the road, it finally choked itself out.

Needless to say, i refuse to drive it, and the shop refuses to let me drive it.

Now what? They're looking into it tomorow and calling the reman place. The motor was delivered as a complete, ready to rock n roll motor from injector pump to oil pan. Everything rebuilt and warrantied. But what the crap could it be? I swear if i was the one driving it theres no way i could have kept control of it and kept it on the road. I would have been dead. So I have two places to ream out, the shop for not thouroughly test driving it, and the motor co for letting something slip by. But what is it what slipped through the cracks so to speak? I heard about this on old worn turbo motors, but a new 6.9? edit: and why the hell would it not just kick into neutral? is it sometihng related to the runaway or something else that just made it worse but related to the flywheel/clutch install?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holly crap man I'm glad your ok! I'm sorry to say an glad also I've never expierenced this before in a diesel. My jet ski did an blew rod threw the block an out the bottom of the fiber glass body. I bet it was pullin strong an brake were no gonna stop you. I would have said pull over an smother it with your shirt that's what I know about diesels. But! One in fear rollin 3 tons of thunder hell no run for the bushes an hide that's like a mad man in a sherman TANK!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay wow. This will be quite the oilburners talk for a while. Let me ask you something. Do you believe the runaway was caused by an injection pump malfunction or was the engine running on it's own oil??? Because it sounds like it may have been an injection pump issue. If you could manually turn off the key and shut off fuel supply...eventually...then it was fuel related. If a diesel engine had a crankcase oil runaway, turning off the key would do nothing, since the engine is running on unregulated engine oil

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 exactly. with question and reply.

Thats a strange one to me too, unless the mechanic driving didnt want the motor to wind up full force and blow. Dont know what else to think.

To the OP, sounds like your injection pump has an issue that caused the motor to runaway. Like Hydro-idi said, if it was sucking oil, turning the key off would do nothing.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
War hog,
When I got to the end and found out no one got killed, I realized I was holding my breath and started laughing my ass off. Your description had me in the truck with you. I'm sure it isn't funny to you now but damn do you have a great drinking story.

Check the driver seat for a bite mark. I wouldn't be too ******* the shop. Sounds like something that wouldn't have happened on a shake down run. Madding the clutch didn't disengage the engine?. I would have had no hesitation with seeing if an idi can hit 10k if I couldn't get it stopped.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i suppose.but im sure she was talking anyway even with the load to the wheels.id have forced her out of gear with the clutch or reamed on that stick some quick.ida found neutral one way or the other while locking the brakes full force to get her into the ditch,where id let her bury herself and stall out in top gear,or smothered her intake if all she would do was bury all the way to China lol.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that happened to me, I would just put my truck in neutral, pull over, get out, take a few steps back, and watch the show of my engine about to blow up haha.
But in all seriousness it is a great thing nobody got hurt. I haven't heard too many great things about jasper engines and I definitely would not blame the shop who installed engine. It sounds like there was some kind of a mechanical failure that caused this situation. I would get that engine out and send it back to jasper. It probably got damaged in the process of it running away anyways.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled, thinking everything over, it's possible he couldn't get it into neutral because the firewall. It's cracked and sometimes is a pain. I'm waiting on the member here to get settled in at his new place so i could order the fix he makes. I guess it's possible with the mechanic jamming the clutch so hard it was flexing the firewall too much.

Yes, after a few tries the key off did finally kill it. The ignition is funky sometimes anyways, so maybe it just wasn't triggering the fuel cut off right away. So you think injector pump? The mechanic and i looked it up on all data, and there was an update to a governer in the IP. He think it's possible jasper didn't use the new updated part and that could be the culprit? Yeah it's kind of funny now, after a few beers. But i'll tell you, before i left i went back and shook the mechanics hand one more time. If it was me driving, i'd be dead. And i mean, it was coming up to a curve where i was ready to tell him just ditch it. I've lived good years, i'll go before i take some poor ******* driving with his kids.

Now with the lesser, but still important problem, What would cause the engine temp light to come on but the gauge read dead center?

edit: and while it's all said and strange that the key off or neutral didn't work right away, it's important to remember this isn't some bullcrap that the shop is feeding me...i was in the truck. watching him try all these things while literally just about standing on the brake pedal. hitting the throttle pedal and letting go a million times, to see if maybe the pedal is just stuck etc. Hydro, it's nice to dream, but while you're already doing 55 and it runs away on you, brakes don't mean a damn thing. you might as well try holding your coat out the window to slow down. Nothing was going to stop this thing but grace, or a building. He told me later, when he pushed the gas to accelerate into 3rd, it sucked the pedal down to the floor right out from under his foot.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made it out of that alright. Ive had one run away on me while stopped, wouldn't want to experience that going down the road. x2 on it being the IP, there would be some serious ass chewing going on tomorrow if it were me

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see if the oil is overfull, if it is not then it is a pump issue. If it is , then its still a pumpp issue, cut seal filling crankcase. Had it happen once years ago, took the splines right off the input of a c6.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see if the oil is overfull, if it is not then it is a pump issue. If it is , then its still a pumpp issue, cut seal filling crankcase. Had it happen once years ago, took the splines right off the input of a c6.

interesting. the trucks at the shop, i refuse to drive it and they refuse to let it leave the property unless jasper is towing it to their own shop. But i'll pass the info to the mechanic.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's why you do not let the truck trans go into neutral. with the truck still in gear, you have a chance in hell to regain control of the motor which he did. you're fighting it the whole way but you still have a chance in hell. Once you stuff in the clutch and take it out of gear and into neutral, you no longer have the ability to stop the motor by putting a load against it. other than shoving a rag down the intake, you are now a bystander along for the ride.
check out this thread.....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?40064-parts-with-a-bipolar-disorder

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now you telling us more of this happening. The throttle peddle sucked down to th floor.. Thats a cable or injection pump problem... Maybe both. I would check really closely the throttle cable. With the engine off floor the throttle... See if it sticks. If not then remove the cable from the pump and hand operate the throttle wide open. See if it sticks. Sometimes the cable is old and it cracks when its moved around during engine installs. The end that connects to the pump has a red plastic sleeve. Thats breaks sometimes too. If nothing proves where the problem is get a good quality pump from someone you trust but do not try running that pump again... Unless you have the air filter housing off the intake and a piece of wood large enough to cover the intake opening if it runs away agin. A person will have to be in the truck working the throttle and someone will have to be standing by the engine ready to place the wood over the intake if the engine takes off again. ******* the tach is never good for the engines...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online