did i do good

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats the same as mine, and the only thing extra mine came with is the case, and I know I paid like $100 more than that for mine, and I think mine even has a broken flash pickup.
So in other words, YEA YOU DID GOOD!

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good im glad to here that, ive been sweating the $250.00. i just hope that this thing works lol.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you got a good luminosity probe, particularly of interest is the MT160 which is for the 6.9/7.3 and the GM 5.7/4.3. If it is not cracked you did quite well. It looks like it was well cared for. With that meter you're not totally screwed if the luminosity probe is broken as long as the pulse adpater works, because with the 1480 you can do pulse or luminosity timing. Pulse is what most guys here use, and they shoot for 8.5* BTDC at 2000 rpm per your meter following all the offset directions and whatnot. If you use the luminosity method that lumy probe has to work and you set the timing based on ATDC numbers. Towcat says that 1-2*ATDC at 2000rpm is usually about right and he really knows his stuff. I set mine at 1.5*ATDC at 1400 based on the Haynes book, worked fine. The thing is luminosity may be more accurate it will vary based on fuel quality. The 1.5* number assumes fuel with a cetane value of 47 or more which I felt like I could assume with my B100 biodiesel but a lot of rotgut fuel may be closer to 40 which is supposedly the minimum value in the US. The pulse timing is not affected by fuel quality and variation so that is why many prefer it, plus no expensive, obsolete MT160 to break. Hopefully this will show you where your fuel problem is, I'm betting you'll find your timing is WAY off.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bid on it with the entent that i just knew i wasnt going to win the bid anyway. when we got back from eating out i checked it and it said that i won the bid. i wasnt complaining though, atleast ill get my timing set. ive been dealing with the constant smoke issue and im starting to think that its not fuel related. tonight when i was driving home, when i was stopped and the cars lights where behind me i could see the smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. it was coming out like the beat of a cylender every now and then. what do you think it could be? seems to me if it was oil related it would be constant.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, now that's interesting. If its a miss like that it could mean that you have a bad injector, a bad lifter or a bad valve or a cylinder with considerably lower compression than its partners.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i was updating everybody on the timing meter. i received it today and after having to find my way to the bottom of the box through all that bubble wrap and styro foam peanuts its in really good shape. i checked both probes and there brand new never been used and all the cables are in good shape along with all the plug-ins. i read in the book that came with it that the timing is to be set at 20, doesnt the rpms have to be at a certain speed to set the timing? i guess ill have to read everything in the manuel to get familiar with the meter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 is the negative offset, NOT the timing value. Your looking for 8.5 degrees at 2000 RPM using the pulse method.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man if you have to set the timing while that beast is screaming 2000rpms. im new to this so what exactly is the 20 degree offset?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you power up that meter, just press the red "enter offset" button, punch in 20 and hit enter. That calibrates the meter for use on the IDI. 2000 RPM is noisy, but it won't hurt anything.