Debris found on oil change

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
An injector that has a weak spring pops open early causing a fuel knock. Now for any material going thru the oil pump thats just not going to happen. We have a screened oil suction head. For something going thru the filter breaking up thats not possible either. The oil supply from the filter goes directly to the main oil galley. So those pieces can't have gone thru the oil system. They came from the lift pump, the oil refills or the valve seals. I can't see the valley pan gromit being made of any material that looks like this.

do you still get a clean burn with this? no smoke since its not leaking?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
icanfixall called it first in post # 10. Does this look familiar?

You must be registered for see images attach

The fact that you are finding that in the oil pan is somewhat disturbing. It got crushed for some reason, and I can't think of a good one. Normally, these umbrellas are somewhat flexible. So, if you are finding hard plastic parts, they were probably brittle. Heat is the number one cause of this kind of embrittlement. Need I ask if the engine has ever been overheated in its life?

It is time to rebuilt the engine. You could run it for many thousand more miles, but you run the risk of catastrophic failure. If that happens, the engine will probably not be rebuildable.

Consider yourself lucky you spotted one of the early warning signs of engine failure.

Luck has a way of favouring the prepared mind. :)

what the he!! is it?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall called it first in post # 10. Does this look familiar?

The fact that you are finding that in the oil pan is somewhat disturbing. It got crushed for some reason, and I can't think of a good one. Normally, these umbrellas are somewhat flexible. So, if you are finding hard plastic parts, they were probably brittle. Heat is the number one cause of this kind of embrittlement. Need I ask if the engine has ever been overheated in its life?

It is time to rebuilt the engine. You could run it for many thousand more miles, but you run the risk of catastrophic failure. If that happens, the engine will probably not be rebuildable.

Consider yourself lucky you spotted one of the early warning signs of engine failure.

Luck has a way of favouring the prepared mind. :)

Ding Ding Ding! I vote for valve stem seal.
As far as rebuilding engine, I would hold off on that and make sure that your fuel system is not causing engine knock. Why blow 5k into an engine rebuild if the fuel injection system is at fault. Either way, it does sound like it would be a good idea to pull heads off and get them rebuilt, especially if you are having chuffing symptoms. Exhaust/intake chuff typically means you have a valvetrain issue (worn valve guides). Keep us posted.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kinda hard to visualize with the zoomed in pic in #1
but the valve stem seal is most likely the case.
if she starts smoking like a freight train they make a valve spring compressor that you can fill your cylinder with air,
and replace your seals...

i can see how an old brittle seal can come apart, get caught in the valve spring then wash down...
i would be pulling valve covers to see what i can see!

BD, i have a set of new injectors going in this weekend. if youre interested in my old ones, youre more than welcome to em'
truck runs great, with a leaky IP, figured screw it, im getting a 100 cc pump, my old injectors are, well, OLD

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a valve stem umbrella seal, not to steal Gary's thunder for first calling it. They are plastic and get brittle with age, break and can work their way down into the pan, where they stay because the chunks are too big for the pickup screen. No biggie really, in and of itself, though they prevent oil from going down the exhaust valve and one or more gone may increase oil consumption and carbon buildup.

One possibility I will point out here, that covers both the noise and the sudden presence of the seal in the pan, is a broken valve spring or a rocker problem. If you can isolate the noise to one cylinder, see if you can isolate the noise to the rocker area. I'm not there, so my recommendation is overly cautious, but based on what I know now, sitting in my remote, frozen-in location in Ohio, it might be wise to pull the valve cover and see on the side where the noise is most present. Sometimes this seal just breaks and do what this one did. But maybe it was caused by something. A broken valve spring (which often still work after a fashion depending on where the coil breaks) or rocker issue.

As to the oil filters, the fact that the BV (bypass valve) is in the filter stand and not in the filter is basic 101 stuff for our engines all of you should know. Neither do they have ADB (anti drain back) valves.

I have attached a picture of a filter autopsy I did of an FL784 filter some years ago. I no longer use these filters and this may well have been the last one I ever used. I routinely autopsy my used filters to make sure they are holding up.

PS- The FL1995 uses the same basic construction, but the filter element is larger and used a better grade of media (even though it looks the same).

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your chuff may be directly related to the stem seal chunks in the oil, bad valve guide, soon the spring will get cooked and drop the valve. Your injector can be a POS and cause a knock and not smoke, not all bad injectors cause smoking. haqd 4 bad on the dually and hey no excess smoke.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your chuff may be directly related to the stem seal chunks in the oil, bad valve guide, soon the spring will get cooked and drop the valve. Your injector can be a POS and cause a knock and not smoke, not all bad injectors cause smoking. haqd 4 bad on the dually and hey no excess smoke.

Good point! A valve wobbling in a bad guide can break a seal too.

I forgot to relate a 6.2L diesel broken spring story that Typ4's post reminds me of. The spring was broken on the second coil but the valve had not dropped. What was left of the spring wasn't able to fully close the valve... SO THE PISTON WAS DOING IT! The noise wasn't all that bad but the engine had a definite "lope." Not a full blown "dead hole" lope but definitely a weak cylinder. Obviously, this couldn't have gone on for long but it was caught early. I pulled the cover, ran the piston up to TDC, used my overhead valve spring compressor (a tool I bought 40 years ago), replace the spring and the seal and all was good. I saw no guide issues in this case.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it does look like an exhaust valve seal! I'll be mussing with it soon, Mustang gets the attention this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat