Changing to syn. oil and what filter u running?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Goat. Some years ago I had a '73 220D that I bought cheap with a knocking engine (had been run out of oil). I rebuilt it myself and it performed as well as a 3000 lb car with 60 flywheel hp could.
Once broken in, I tried synthetic oil also. Immediately I noticed a "ball bearings in a can" pinging under acceleration. Nothing else changed, just the noise. At the next change I went back to dino oil and it sounded normal again. I don't know why... stayed on dino until the body cancered away.

I have read that a new Engine should be broken in with Dino oil, then it can be changed over to a Synthetic.
My 80 was well broken in when I changed it....LOL
Think I have 7 of these old MB`s, and same # of engines. can`t have too many parts...LOL

Iam using Amsoil 15/40 Marine Diesel oil. Been using it for a long time. Not endorsing it just what i use.
Strange you had the noise and changing the oil fixed the problem.

I know the oil producers took Zinc out of their oils, probably EPA or some other what ever. Amsoil does have an oil for the Hot Rod guys that has Zinc.

Lot of people thumb their noses at Syn Oil, but isn`t that what is used in jet Engines? I read that some where long time ago.

My 6.9 uses a qt around every 6 - 700 miles, maybe going past the Valve Guides? Rings? who knows, a qt every now and then is easier than pulling the engine, and it runs too good to mess with it. Throw in another qt of Wally World 15/40, and keep on trucking.

Goat.