Debris found on oil change

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil on the 1992, which is "knocking." I expected a silver river or debris similar to a disassembled parts engine with a thrown rod... but I only found a few bits of orange plastic...

I drained the oil and filtered it to 100 micron, checking each sieve with a magnet for metal, and the collected oil for metal. Broke the filter open and checked every single pleat... One tiny sliver of metal, nothing else ferrous or otherwise.

Here's what I found:
You must be registered for see images attach

Any guesses where the orange plastic came from??

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when was the previous oil change done?
the plastic looks odd!
wish i could help more

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anti-drain back valve from a filter? Looks like what is inside my gasser filters that are motorcraft.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Motorcraft FL-1995, uses a spring for anti-drainback. 2000 miles on the change (done early to investigate, WMO goes back in as fuel). Oil cooler does have a small leak... but the recovered pieces have small ridges, inconsistent with a rubber o-ring

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those rubber o-rings take on many shapes and or forms,
when i did my PSD oil cooler, they were more plastic than rubber.
but they do look like the plastic was casted in some form.
clean em up and try to jigsaw them back together?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
strange, looks like it could be plastic. honestly everyone can try and help but until you pull the motor apart everything is pretty much speculation.

was it smoking(exhaust) as well as knocking?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No smoke, no chance at piecing together the parts... during a sandblast operation on longtube headers for the Mustang I knocked that dish over...

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
if its knocking and not smoking it clearly has tolerance/bearing problems, identifying the plastic is probably redundant considering theres an internal mechanical failure.

Do you plan to pull the engine and find the failure?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks almost like a exhaust valve seal. Only other place it might have come from would be filling with oil and getting some thru that hole. Its not the reason for the knock. The knock probably is a bad injector.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about an exhaust valve seal. There is a known chuffing valve on #2...

No plans to pull at the minute

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks almost like a exhaust valve seal. Only other place it might have come from would be filling with oil and getting some thru that hole. Its not the reason for the knock. The knock probably is a bad injector.

if it were knocking because of an injector i believe it would be smoking and he said it was not.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't look like this, but could be something similar to what happened to Dad and I. We were doing an oil change, and this was not long after the "oil bottles" came out. We had only done 2 or 3 changes out of a bottle, everything before that was in an OIL CAN and you got to use the nifty little piercer/spout thing......

We were refilling the crankcase with fresh oil, and at this time, the little "milk ring" stayed on the oil bottle. (I've noticed now, normally the "milk ring" will split and stay firmly attached to the cap) On the second or third quart of oil, the little "milk ring" fell off and disappeared into the rocker cover, never to be seen again!!!! I am sure that little pieces of that ring ended up in the pan..... but I don't see any tell-tale signs that is was ever a "milk ring"......

Could it be something out of a mechanical fuel pump? That is a path straight into the pan..... look at the report from a member that found 3 pump levers in the pan on his truck.......

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Negative on pump leftovers. Previous pump was replaced before this batch of oil. New pump is a happy camper. Also negative on bottle debris, used mobil delvac, which has an internal spout and no "milk ring"

Random dang plastic... I remember finding some in a 351C... timing gear had plastic over each steel tooth. Funky setup.

Still no luck ID'ing the plastic bits when compared to a torn down scrap motor.

Not trying to diagnose the knock on this thread... focus is on the plastic.

Chuffing valve blowby could have cooked the seal, seems like the most probable explanation for the bits so far. Experience with SBFs and Clevelands tells me that valve seals look like rubber umbrellas... but the recovered bits don't match this profile. I'm totally open to any speculation.

Last edited:

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
I remember finding some in a 351C... timing gear had plastic over each steel tooth. Funky setup.

that was the first thing that came to mind, ford had an engine or two (i believe one of the six cylinders) that had a timing gear covered in plastic :rotflmao bet that engineer got a raise.....NOT!!

If its knocking (not just tapping) and not smoking it sounds like mechanical failure of/with-in the engine (probably a bearing) if you have metal parts failing internally its probably in relation to why you have failure of plastic parts coming out of your oil.

Im all for splitting topics when they are unrelated! but what you have hear is two "split topics" that are probably of relation to each other, therefore your most likely best off diagnosing both issues in the same thread as they are most likely related to each other.

hence me asking about the knock, witch more than likely has to do with the failure of plastic you see coming out of your pan.