Dana 60 Swap Questions (driveshaft)

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
hey all!
found myself a dana 60 to replace my dana 50
i just have a couple questions that i havent been able to resolve by looking online...at least i havent come to a definitive answer

my main question has to do with the front driveshaft. now some of the articles i have read said that i need to get the driveshaft from an f350...which i dont have (could get it if i need to)

My truck is a 92 f250 NA 7.3 idi ZF5
Donor truck is a 93 f350 turbo 7.3 idi ZF5

what do i need to know in order to determine if i can use my existing f250 driveshaft?
my current driveshaft does not have the double cardan, just the two u-joints.

My second question is a simple one.
do i need to grab the rear leaf block from the f350 as well? someone told me today that if i dont block the rear, my front end will end up sitting higher....which i havent heard anywhere else

Any help is much appreciated! i wanna get this show on the road!
Cheers ;Sweet
Benny

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Some people get away with using the stock ttb shaft, but it will need to be shortened iirc. As for the lift blocks yes you need them. F250 only has 2 inch blocks. To get the truck to sit right you need the f350 4 inch blocks

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also grab the U-bolts for the front & rear, pitman arm, and front leaf springs. I think the front calipers are the same (F250 to F350). Rear "soft" brake line may be too short on the F250.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the D60 swap in my signature. Most of your questions are answered there! My 250 front drive shaft fit the D60 (1994 F250 with 1993 F350 D60 axle). make sure you get the track bar and bracket!

You need front 350 springs (the TTB springs are MUCH stiffer because of the geometry used)
You need blocks for rear as the D60 will sit a little higher. F250 ~ 2" rear blocks, F350 ~ 4" rear blocks
Calipers will fit either axle
You need D60 pitman

This rule of thumb will help your with interchangeability... Everything outside of the spindle is the same between the F250 TTB and D60 (so rotor, caliper, wheel bearings, hub, lug nuts) The spindle and axle parts INSIDE the spindle are different (needle bearing, axle stub, u-joint, axle).

Check out my swap thread! Lots of pics there too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If....u grab the drive shaft..grab the transmission mounting crossmember and the transfer case.

It is easier to grab the case...pop off the shifter...unbolt 6 bolts ...bam done...

The driveshaft utilized w double cardone almost certainly requires the funky trans x member because of the added height of the lift.

Do grab the rear blocks...my truck sits fine but better to have and not need than need and not have.

Pitman arm is a must...no puller no biggy...take box too :rotflmao

Bobs yer uncle if you can grab entire package.

Get the turbo!

JM7.3CW

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! Much appreciated...
I'm gonna give it a go with my current drivetrain. If I run into issues I can go ahead and grab it off the f350...
Other than that, I guess I just need to grab the rear blocks, pitman arm & track bar mount! And then replace u-joints etc in the axle itself....

Everyone keep their fingers crossed for a semi-painless swap! Will keep ya updated
B

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the bottom U bolt plate on the driver side, it is a specific fit for that diff.