Dana 60 going in...eventually

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone curious, here's the comparison of the 3.08 style pinion gear to the 3.55 style. I remember being surprised at the size difference compared to the 4.10 gears many years ago when I first swapped. But even the 3.55 is small compared to this.

I don't know if I'll ever put the 3.08s back in, but I'll keep them in storage for now. Nobody makes these anymore, so I'll hang on to them just in case.

You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sprung a leak at the rear diff cover. I tried a different type of sealer and it didn't work...so back to Permatex "right stuff". But since I had it open, it was a perfect time to see how things were wearing in.

The initial break-in seems to have gone well but the backlash was a little high. The Yukon instruction booklet calls for 0.006-0.008" backlash and I was at 0.014" on initial setup. After the break-in, things had settled a bit and it was even higher (a bit subjective depending on how well you position the dial). I've seen some online sources state that up to 0.015" is acceptable for a Ford Sterling rear end, but Yukon made these gears and I'm thinking they should know.

So while I had it open, pulled the carrier and checked the shim sizes for the carrier bearing. The difference was about right so I tried swapping them. Wonder of wonders, it lined up great and brought the backlash down to 0.007". Gear pattern did change a bit but I think it might still work.

Thanks to the new drain hole I was able to drain the oil and keep it clean by sending it through a paint strainer before reusing it. It's still not pretty looking due to wear materials but I'll run for another few weeks like this and then do the final change. I already took it on the freeway and the diff seemed to run cool with no funny noises. Everything shook like crazy due to old tires and a couple bent rims, but that's another story...

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First failure already. Remember those new front shackles I bought from earlier in the thread? Well, the upper rubber bushing shredded.

Part of the problem may have been the fact that there was too much clearance between the bracket and the frame rail. Normally, this is a snug fit, but since my frame was originally 2wd, there was an extra 1/2" slop. Maybe this allowed the rubber to be squished out more easily. Hard to say.

In any case, I bought urethane bushings at the same time just in case something like this were to happen. I also machined some plastic spacers to take up the slack of this particular setup. Time will tell if it holds up any better.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the flipside, I was able to have a little fun on a local mountain this weekend. I don't plan to endanger my truck's status as a "pavement queen", after all the work restoring it. But it's nice to know it can go off road when needed. I still feel the 4" rear lift looks too high, but it did help when negotiating ditch crossings (better approach angles). The hitch receiver dragged on a couple of the crossings but other then that, there was no shortage of clearance.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice OBS! I keep searching for rims like yours but haven't had luck so far. I do miss the lower ride height of the 2wd, but everything's a compromise and I like the durability of a dana60 axle.

Bricknose used to be my favorite of the 80-97 line (especially the interior) but if I ever had to say goodbye to my 86, I would probably go straight to the OBS with a powerstroke. Then again, I see prices for OBS 7.3s going through the roof right now.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the afternoon on the same mountain with some friends and family. I better cut this out or I might get to like it. Might even put the pavement queen status at risk. Overall, it's holding up well. Running boards will probably have to go back on eventually.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your truck is just screamin out for a four wheel camper on the back. I was silly and hauled a brand new trailer up the Dempster back in 2019
the old mileage unknown truck did better than the new trailer did. all the way from SW Ontario.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to beat that kind of view though.

Agreed. I've been stuck with office work for most of the last year and fresh air like this does strange things to me.

your truck is just screamin out for a four wheel camper on the back. I was silly and hauled a brand new trailer up the Dempster back in 2019
the old mileage unknown truck did better than the new trailer did. all the way from SW Ontario.

It could probably tow a 5th wheel trailer, just not on this road. The ditch crossings and switchbacks would tear apart any kind of longer travel trailer. If I were to do any camping in places like this I'd probably just use a regular truck canopy and set it up as a sleeper. Travel trailers are nice, but minimalism makes it easier to get into the lesser traveled locations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86