Dam blasted Fuel sending units.. what can I use? 89 f250

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
All the sending units from 80-97 will physicaly interchange.

BUT the 83-86 ohm range is backwards from a 87-97(you need a 87-97)

I am unsure on the year change but i belive it was 94.5(powerstroke change) the plug changed, that is the difference. just look at your plug and see if it looks like the ones you see on ebay

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the sending units from 80-97 will physicaly interchange.

BUT the 83-86 ohm range is backwards from a 87-97(you need a 87-97)

I am unsure on the year change but i belive it was 94.5(powerstroke change) the plug changed, that is the difference. just look at your plug and see if it looks like the ones you see on ebay

The quote below may be a show stopper for complete interchange. If the lines won't hook up, it will not work correct?

The reason for the prune & graft was that the 89 fuel line outlet fittings were aimed quite different from the 90.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The quote below may be a show stopper for complete interchange. If the lines won't hook up, it will not work correct?

There is more than enough slack in the lines to get the sending unit to work. We put a powerstroke sending unit in my brother 92 and the ports were 180* the other direction, the lines still fit fine with no tension or kinks

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
whats the part number on the AB pot?

DUB4: Well, the numbers on the pot are hard to read, but I believe we have: GA2L040S501UC. Any 500 ohm linear taper pot should work. I chose this one because it has an 1/8" shaft and the threaded mounting column fit the pivot hole in the stock sender (with a little persuasion from the properly sized tap).

I'm looking for some 16 mesh brass screen so I can fabricate a new pickup - then we will get this stuffed back into the tank and calibrated.

Regards,

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone commented on diesel hose not being "rated" for constant submersion in fuel.

Be aware that GAS hose is NOT diesel hose.

Diesel hose will work for gas, but not vice-versa.

:dunno I am going on fuzzy memory; but, I ??think?? the lowest rating stamp for diesel use is SAE 30RC; this rating should be printed on new hose about every foot or so.

There are higher ratings, but I am not sure of the nomenclature.

I have had a section of fuel hose submerged in a fruit-jar full of diesel for years, with no negative effects that I can determine.

Furthermore, I have been running plain old diesel hose submerged in several fuel-tanks around here for many years with no issues.

:dunno I can't speak for whether I am supposed to be doing it or not, just that it has been working for me. :)

Last edited:

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
@Midnight- I said fuel hose, not diesel hose, and "rated" was the manufacturers term not mine for the description the NAPA guy read out of the catalog to me. The particular fuel hose he had on hand and was describing to me was rated for gas or diesel fuel, but not for submersion in either one as it is made from two different compounds, interior and exterior. Sorry I was not clear in my initial description.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Midnight- I said fuel hose, not diesel hose, and "rated" was the manufacturers term not mine for the description the NAPA guy read out of the catalog to me. The particular fuel hose he had on hand and was describing to me was rated for gas or diesel fuel, but not for submersion in either one as it is made from two different compounds, interior and exterior. Sorry I was not clear in my initial description.

I knew that you knew what you were meaning; I just wanted to clarify a little for those less informed that may read this :)

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm gonna keep an eye out for ANY diesel sending units from 87-97.. I found a couple on ebay.. Just concerned about the replacements having the same problem in the future..

One thing I came across is a sending unit for a 92-93 sending unit for a rear PLASTIC tank only.. would this work on my oem metal rear tank?? I didn't even know ford made oem plastic fuel tanks :confused:

Does anyone have the part numbers of compatible sending units by chance??

hopefully I can find one for cheap..

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
... I didn't even know ford made oem plastic fuel tanks :confused:

Jam,

Yes Ford has used plastic tanks for several years. The fuel tank in my Ex is a 44 Gallon plastic tank, mounted behind the rear axle in the same location as the rear tank on your truck.....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm gonna keep an eye out for ANY diesel sending units from 87-97.. I found a couple on ebay.. Just concerned about the replacements having the same problem in the future..

One thing I came across is a sending unit for a 92-93 sending unit for a rear PLASTIC tank only.. would this work on my oem metal rear tank?? I didn't even know ford made oem plastic fuel tanks :confused:

Does anyone have the part numbers of compatible sending units by chance??

hopefully I can find one for cheap..

Ford mixed and matched the plastic tanks amongst the steel ones.

My 1985 came factory-new with a steel front and plastic rear.

The sending unit itself is the same, but the circular mount-plate that holds it in the tank is a horse of an entirely different color.

You could take the brains of the plastic-tank unit and retrofit it onto the steel-tank sender. :)

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that type of thinking ;)

I actually found the front sender for 40 shipped NEW (motorcraft clearance online) Once the front is good I know what to look for on the rear.

Thanks alot! I'm well on my way to having this thing up and running like a top in no time!

Now all I need are some tires/rims...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, NEVER buy/install a used sender.

ALL of these trucks had crappy fuel-senders; mine started going haywire before the first oil-change and only got progressively worse.

It does take a little doing, but the generic J.C.Whitney senders that I put in my tanks are far superior to the original Ford junk. :)