D60 leaks oil out of axle tubes when at angle???

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I think I posted about this before, but now that the axle is in the truck I had a chance to observe the leak in action. I left the truck parked on the side of our drive way for 3 or 4 days and today could see oil had ran out of the lower axle tube and ran out all over the front tire. Is this common? The truck was at about a 35-40* angle to the passenger side and it took atleast a day or two to do it. Or is this something I'll have to take in and have the guts pulled to install new seals?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
+1 everything has to come out to replace those seals.... It's alot easier to just stop parking at such an angle;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okey doke. I just wanted to make sure its something that needs done.
Guess I'll have to break down next year and have it done, maybe someone will accidentally drop an E-lock in there while its apart. "Mom I swear he just did it on his own!" lol

zpd307

Reaction score
my driver side leaks also. i found that out when i had everything apart to do the axle u-joints. a next summer project, i still cant decide if a posi is going in while i am at it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guys do this repair, please do a TECH article with lots of pictures.:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nebraska, if you can do an engine ,you can do that front axle.

sorry I didnt do pics when I did mine.
I will when I put the locker in the front.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks for your confidence in me guys!
I guess its something I lack when it comes to some things, and axle gears are one of them.
Heck, Russ practically installed the new CHRA in my turbo for me, lol. I think I called him every 5 minutes making sure I hadnt screwed something up! lol

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing that seal isn't too bad. It's time consuming, and not much fun, but not super hard.

Just take a backlash measurement with a dial indicator before you remove the carrier, and be careful to keep the shims on the right sides, and it should go back together fine. You can re-check the backlash after you reassemble to be sure, but it shouldn't change at all unless you change the gears or replace the open diff with that elocker or ARB.

Ryan

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
The last thing I need to do before installing my D60 under my truck is replacing these seals. I borrowed a home made tool from a friend for installing the seals in the axle. I'll throw a picture of it up here. Another guy on TDS made it (gnxtc2) first then my friend got the parts and built one as well...I dont think he is a member here, but if you go over there you can find him and ask.

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The shims stay between the carrier and bearing so just yank it out, install the new seals and stick it back together....Mine weeps a little too, not enough for me to bother changing them for the amount of 4wd time I use.