Custom Turbo Exhaust Manifold

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
so what encourages the exhaust to go up through the turbo, when it could just flow out the header like it is suppose to? cookoo cookoo cookoo

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
nope we have been over this one, find the thread about it here elsewhere.......HUGE issues with this design...plus metallugically cast iron and simple bar stock dont take too kindly to welding together. i can tig, mig, oxy, and thermite (one of the coolest things in the world to watch by the way) and i wouldnt even dream of trying to accomplish a weld of that nature.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I dropped a keyseater about a foot or two once due to trying to weld mild steel to cast iron. I was about 14, and I learned real quick why cast iron is so damn finnicky.

Now, I hate to get heat even near cast iron at work. We deal with it more than I'd like - but it's cheap....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the cost of turbo's keeps folks from wanting to invest in a true cast exhaust manifold with the proper setup to do duals.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
so what encourages the exhaust to go up through the turbo, when it could just flow out the header like it is suppose to? cookoo cookoo cookoo

If you were to plumb the other side up to that manifold the pressure would have only one way to go - thru the turbo. It's a neat idea none the less but welding on cast is a fine art that only a few can do reliabliy - I for one can't do it but have talked to a guy that can and he says that it's a real pain to get a good weld on it and then he doesn't trust it for the long run.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a setup like this a couple years back. One guy had one on his truck locally, but it was only on one manifold. This guy was trying to flog it. It wasn't a custom job either, someone was making these...

If it was me, I'd probably be thinking more along the lines of something closer to a custom header type setup and run a turbo on each one and then "y" them just before the intake...

Then you could also have "true" duals"...

Zigg :)

tractorman86

Reaction score
TLBREWER said:
Never thought the design through. That's what I get for cruising eBay at 4:00 in the morning half asleep.

tom
hey that will get the best of anyone, but dont let it happen again!!! :backoff

:D LOL :rotflmao

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:***: :confused: :rotflmao As poor as that design is you'ld be better off trying to install your stock manifolds upside down and backwards cookoo and then bolt the turbos to the top of them. It would look just as cool :draw and you wouldn't have to worry about the welds breaking.:mad: The just route the pipes through the hood like the pulling trucks.:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The passenger side manifold for IH S series truck applications would be the best candidate. The pipe connection leaves it at a very clean 90 degree angle. Don't know if it would fit upside down though.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
We used to do this on our pull truck. I welded 3x4 box tube to ther manifold to mount the turbo on each maniflod and then put a crossover pipe between the manifold outlets. We never had an issue and they were glowing red @ the end of 300 feet.