Custom 60G glow plugs

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are any of you testing those GPs in the engine, or only after taking them out?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I don't see how multiple plugs could fail out of the blue when being used on a manual gp system.FWIW I remember hearing that glow plugs out of a oldsmobile 350 diesel will thread right into an IDI and they are self regulating so they can be held on for a few minutes each cycle and last years, as in 20 years.Just passing it on.

Rock

Black dawg

Reaction score
I don't see how multiple plugs could fail out of the blue when being used on a manual gp system.FWIW I remember hearing that glow plugs out of a oldsmobile 350 diesel will thread right into an IDI and they are self regulating so they can be held on for a few minutes each cycle and last years, as in 20 years.Just passing it on.

Rock
I believe that olds plug was a 12g, had a set of them many years ago, and they wont burn out......but take longer than anything I have ever used, to get good and hot.

from my experience the bosch duratherm 80034 works really good in these trucks with manual control. You can leave them on all day without issue, and they fit without modification......other than the electrical connector. I have been putting this plug in ford idis and chevy idis with manual control now for about 10 years and havent seen a single one burnt out.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I believe that olds plug was a 12g, had a set of them many years ago, and they wont burn out......but take longer than anything I have ever used, to get good and hot.

from my experience the bosch duratherm 80034 works really good in these trucks with manual control. You can leave them on all day without issue, and they fit without modification......other than the electrical connector. I have been putting this plug in ford idis and chevy idis with manual control now for about 10 years and havent seen a single one burnt out.
Are the bosch plugs spade or bullet style?

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I might try them in my 87' f250 since it needs a new harness and plugs.Would they fit the early 6.9 harnesses?What type of connectors did you use?thanks

Rock
I am still on the fence about it:idiot:,but I will probably end up sticking with the zd9 plugs since I have had great experiences with them,and I always hear horror stories with other plugs including bosch so I will stick with the zd9 plugs.

Rock

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 12g is identical in size as to the correct plugs for an idi.

Problem is they're hand grenades and explode. at least the ones I tried did. You can read about it here https://www.oilburners.net/threads/glow-plugs-6-9.84881/#post-1017580

Another problem with the 12g is that they're essentially unobtanium, and no longer stocked. Which in my opinion is a good thing, because like I said, they explode.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does the bosch 80034 require machining to fit like the 60g's? The pictures of them online vary, with some looking yes and others looking no.

If they don't then I'll start recommending them over the 60g's. My 60g's are great, they just require work to use, which isn't going to happen by some people.

I definitely prefer the self limiting plugs over the zd9/zd1a, so long as they work and don't expand or explode.

Black dawg

Reaction score
no machining for the 80034 plug, and I have seen several bad 60g plugs over the years, and one that crunched a piston.

That is interesting on the 12g, must have changed something with them over the years (probably re branded autolites). I have a set that was in a pickup almost 20 years ago that are stupid slow but will not burn out. They were in that pickup from 87-2003ish....not one burnt out.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear on no machining. I'll have to try a set out sometime.

And I believe it about the old 12g's. 20 years ago those olds 350 diesel were still around, because I remember my uncle having one in a car and driving it. I still make fun of him for his obsession with that car. But I haven't seen one of those in a decade, even in junkyards.

The plugs I bought weren't rebranded anything, 12g's in acdelco boxes straight from the gm dealer. He said they were one of the few sets on the shelf at the warehouse. I remember back then reading online about them having a shelf life. It was something about moisture getting in them and that's what caused them to explode.