Custom 60G glow plugs

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've put 60G self regulating ac delco glowplugs for a 6.5 in my 7.3 plow truck. The reason is I believe the ZD9 plugs aren't what they used to be and quality is going down hill. With some modification the 60G can be put in a idi I've been told you can use a bench grinder but a lathe is the way to go but our lathe is huge chuck only goes down to 1/2 diameter so I handed the job of to my friend that's a a machinist to take some of the hex off so they seat. They also do not work with a 7.3 glow plug controller unless you run to a manual override.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second picture from left to right is a non modified 60G the modified 60G and a ZD9.

You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
another plug to look into for full manual control, is the bosch 80034. no mods to plug...just screws in.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us all updated on how they hold up.

Might give those a try next time. Last set of ZDs only made it 2 years, so not a lot of faith in the new ones.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Might give those a try next time. Last set of ZDs only made it 2 years, so not a lot of faith in the new ones.
I expect them to hold up for many many years even with 30 second glow cycles. I have them in both my 6.2 trucks aswell and they seem t hold up very well in them too

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal. I believe I commented on your fb post about this and chucking it in a lathe. If you have access to a lathe or a buddy with one, it's the way to go. I cut all 8 of mine in the amount of time it would have taken me to grind one.

I've got no regrets with the 60g's. It will be 2 years with them in march.

I've modified my start up routine because of the different plugs. Above 40, I'm half throttle and 6 seconds on the plugs, below 40 and I'm full throttle and 12 seconds. Below 40, I'll also keep the plugs held on while cranking/after starting for a bit until the idle smooths out.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I threw a set of 60Gs in with a Rockauto order last night.

No lathe, so will chuck them up in my drill and remove material with a flapper disc. No rush since I put a set of ZDs in a month ago.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score

How did your most recent ZD's fail? Suddenly? I have run dozens of new ZD's over the past years, but I did have 2 sets go bad suddenly over the past year. No prolonged cycle times or controller issues or anything. Just plain sudden fail. No swelling, no discoloration, not ether, timing set right, tight injectors etc.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did your most recent ZD's fail? Suddenly? I have run dozens of new ZD's over the past years, but I did have 2 sets go bad suddenly over the past year. No prolonged cycle times or controller issues or anything. Just plain sudden fail. No swelling, no discoloration, not ether, timing set right, tight injectors etc.
Manually run 10 seconds, at most twice a day. Installed a new set 2 years ago, worked fine and quickly degraded into hard start, then no start. Pulled the GPs and all ohmed bad. Set I installed before that were maybe 4-5 years ago cycling the same.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score

I have been having this problem lately also with ZD9's. I've gone through 6 in the last year and everyone looks great when pulled but the multi meter says nobody is home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88