1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

glow plugs 6.9

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by JAKRANCH, Feb 11, 2019.

1. JAKRANCH

JAKRANCH Full Access Member

found out the hard way that 6v motor craft plugs don't like glowing more than 5 second on manual switch:rolleyes:. I had heard 15 second was the limit and also that various plugs can run forever with 12v so I didn't worry about it. My mistake...... My question is, ac delcos have the spade connector will they run just as good as the motorcrafts? I've heard they take 12v all day long and are just fine.
    :thumbsup:
    Edit have researched quite extensively. Finding lots of contradictory information. Would like personal experiences on long lasting 6 9 glow plugs with manual control. Trying to set my buyer up right with my truck I'm selling. If the 6v motorcraft plugs are the best ill just tell him to be careful and not toast them like i did.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. WarNose

WarNose Full Access Member

Better do a search about using anything other than Motocraft/Beru glowplugs. You dont want to use thise ac delcos.

riphip and Cubey like this.
  3. JAKRANCH

I have searched I've found conflicting information everywhere I look

4. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

If unsure try them out and pull them often to check for possible problems

5. JAKRANCH

This is the first time I've had an issue, I bought my other truck with manual control glow plugs(also 85 6.9(they are spade connectors)) and I've run them for 15 seconds plus with no issues. The ones I'm asking about are motorcraft plugs that are newly installed with less than 20 starts on them.

6. riphip

riphip Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you still hooked to the controller? I think you have to disconnect/cut the purple wire from the old style controller or it will keep cycling the glowplugs.
    Has been a long time since I changed all of my trucks to the updated controller. Was very well worth the change.

7. JAKRANCH

Yes controller is disconnected

8. Nidenn

Nidenn Registered User

Not sure what controller or manual switch is. But I put in Motorcraft plugs in 2015 and they seen to be working fine still. My '87 6.9 was my daily driver for about a year and has been my toy since then for forest service roads. Don't drive it much in the winter but just for the hell of it I tried to start it during the cold spell last month. Block heater wasn't plugged in! I hit the glow plugs for about 10 seconds, counted to 10, then hit the glow plugs again and it turned over and started fine.

Frstdiesel likes this.
  9. Noiseydiesel

Noiseydiesel Registered User

I did an '87 6.9 and went to the Motorcraft glow plugs. The Autolites are known to expand and get stuck in the head. I wired in a new controller with a toggle switch to the power supply wire. This way I can get into the truck and turn on the controller for the 8/10 seconds I need to warm the plugs for the day until it starts.
    After that turn off the power supply to the controller and not worry about turning on the key to roll up/down windows and running the glow plugs without reason. Also the toggle switch allows you to turn off the system upon start up and extend the service life. If it's running, why do you need to plugs energized?
    If someone who has no clue about it climbs in, you can still flip the switch and the system will run as designed.