Cowl air + bugshield?

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a while ago right after I got my truck I put a homemade cowl air on it. Well it didn't seem to help out a ton only made it lowder. So today I'm sitting here at work and, think I wonder if that shield makes the air miss the cowl? SO i went and, took it off. :backoff

So do you think the bug shield would effect the air that much?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Bug shields do terrible things to the airflow around these things. I had a bug shield on my IDI with the turn out trailer mirrors(with 5" spot mirrors). The mirrors would shake so bad you could hardly use them. I took off the bug shield and no more shaky mirrors. The bug shields create a low pressure center at the windshield, that's what keeps the bugs off. They will also play havoc on sun visors.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I agree w/ Gruss. I had Agnem tell me why my mirrors looked like they would rip right off. He said get rid of that dang bug deflector! The ride is so much nicer without it.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Kris,

What is the cowl air not doing that you think the bug deflector is interfering with. The primary thing that cowl air does is help to reduce EGT. It feeds the engine cool air that has not been heated going through the radiator. By itself it is not going to make a power difference you are going to be able to notice. If you are going to turn up the fuel it helps to keep the EGT down.

Jim

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cowl air and a bug shield and I noticed a difference in egt's. I also have a sunvisor, towingmirrors, and vents shade things on the doors and I dont think my mirrors shake all that much. Plus I like the look of the bugshield.
My old 75 4x4 Chevy mirrors shook like crazy. It looked like a lazer-light show in the mirror when a car went by me at night LOL

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kris,

What is the cowl air not doing that you think the bug deflector is interfering with. The primary thing that cowl air does is help to reduce EGT. It feeds the engine cool air that has not been heated going through the radiator. By itself it is not going to make a power difference you are going to be able to notice. If you are going to turn up the fuel it helps to keep the EGT down.

Jim

The cowl air is working fine after putting it on I run at about 450-500 deg on the pyro running at 60mph. After taking the bug deflector off it went down maybe 50 deg. I also notice the turbo whisle a little more?

I can't wait to get a turbo gauge and, turn up the fuel a little. Also to see how much boost I'm building just seems like the truck shoudl have more power?

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Idea I had was to get heat wrap and wrap my whole turbo and DP, then put an aluminum plate like 2-3" away from the trubo and heat wrap, then get a 4" cowl induction hood and put a 180deg pipe straight up from my turbo inlet and put my air filter in the 4" space in the hood, maybe make a fiberglass box around it that seals to the hood to deflect most of the heat from the engine and only draw cold air from the rear of the cowl....;Sweet .... kinda just like the old cuda's did, maybe even run a fuel pressure gauge in the cowl opening....do a kinda old school thing ;Really .....

By the way, anyone know anyone sellin a 4" cowl hood cause im lookin to buy...:D