Coolant options & SCA's

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've been thinking of changing coolant and I know some guys run coolant & additive, others run coolant that has additive, & some run a coolant filter that has additives. I like the filter idea, but would like to find more info out about each. All the +'s & -'s about each ie. easiest to get, initial investment, etc... To those w/ filters what's the best place to buy a set-up and and get filters? Also how often btwn. changes? Thanks for the info.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
if your changing coolant make sure to get a low silicant anti freeze, and if you do the additive way, you can get it at napa, called napakool. check it every oil change with the test strips also available at napa.

all items are local for me, so that's the route i took.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tractor supply carries a brand called fleetguard that comes with the SCAs 10.99 a gallon.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check it every oil change with the test strips also available at napa...
Happen to have that NAPA number... my shop keeps showing me the hydrometer, and telling me thats all thats needed... I have some strips ordered from Gene's, but I think Id like to get local if possible...

Im also leaning towards the filter idea. Test at every oil change and see what I need to keep adding, after 2 oil changes or so then I will just buy that filter SCA type and wont need to ad SCAs in the coolant, only test at each oil change.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a napa that has a commercial counter. Or jim call me tomorrow and I can give you the number.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
tell then you want napacool 5964 i think is the number and the test strip package is 524106 its the 50 test strip pill container

Ray

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you, I will use that number for the 50 pack and see if they can get smaller... I wouldn't use 50 in 2 lifetimes.... I know there is a shelf life to these strips, but this number is a place to start..thanks

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
17 bucks for the 50 pack no biggie, test your buddies too.. hell they are good for 2 years!

Ray

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online