Coolant leak.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I backed out the bolts, and wedged the pulley holding tool against the driver's side frame rail, attached the 2 foot long wrench to the nut, and beat the hell out of it with a hammer.

Result? Bent the crap out of the pulley tool, and got the fan clutch free. I have no idea what the issue was, but at least it's solved. No loctite apparent on the threads. Weird stuff.

Should I loctite the fan blades to the new fan clutch?

Will teflon thread sealing paste be the best to use on the water pump bolts?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I backed out the bolts, and wedged the pulley holding tool against the driver's side frame rail, attached the 2 foot long wrench to the nut, and beat the hell out of it with a hammer.

Result? Bent the crap out of the pulley tool, and got the fan clutch free. I have no idea what the issue was, but at least it's solved. No loctite apparent on the threads. Weird stuff.

Should I loctite the fan blades to the new fan clutch?

Will teflon thread sealing paste be the best to use on the water pump bolts?

Peruse this thread here it may help you some!

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59057-Replacing-water-pump

hope that answers some of the above questions..

As for LT on fan blade bolts to clutch...maybe a drop ya. BLUE LT though not RED LOL

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I should have specified. I intend to use blue LT. On both the fan bolts and the fan clutch.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grrr. Let my friend help, and he stripped one of the bolt holes on the new fan clutch.

The bolt still holds, but I'm not convinced I would trust it. Can I heli coil it?

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like there's enough room. I'll have to pull the fan off and take a picture tomorrow.

OR, at this link there is a picture of the back of a hayden fan clutch for our trucks. Now, mine is a Ford part, but they look very similar.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...06_2805&keyword=fan+clutch&pt=03389&ppt=C0331

Seems there is enough meat to do something with.

Besides a potential unbalance situation, could the other 5 bolts hold without issue? If I didn't repair that hole with a heli coil, I would likely just lock tite the bolt into the hole, to keep everything balanced. Thoughts?

Or maybe just thread the hole for a bolt size up? These don't seem to take much torque, so I doubt I'll have any issues.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry some gorilla stripped out a fan bolt...:mad: Probably the easy fix will be some JB weld in the threaded hole. Then thread in the bolt till it grabs and call it good. If you are to use loctite I would use the red stud and bearing mount or the loctite steel in the tube stuff. I think its called 668 or something like that. I know its not 666...:angel: I got some from Grainger about a month ago.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news! The threads actually had a small chip of aluminum in it. When he thought it stripped out, the bolt was actually just bottomed on this piece of aluminum, and what he thought was the hole stripping, was actually just that chip getting dislodged. The bolt wasn't even to the bottom of the hole.

Cleaned up the hole, blue loctite on the bolts, and done. The fan clutch is ready to be installed.

I also got the gasket surface cleaned up, but what a chore that was. Somebody must have put either aviation form a gasket, or indian head shellac on the old gasket, and that stuff sucks to get off. After several hours and several broken razor blades, I got it clean and ready, and installed the new pump.

Tomorrow I'll button everything up and refill the system.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've read what you write. I know you love that stuff lol.

But man, getting that stuff off suuuuucks.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you tell me :D

Apparently it just shrugs off acetone. I had to periodically wipe everything clean, which I did with acetone, and use a brush to show me where that stuff still was. When I scraped it off, it would darken and be hard to see, but when I brushed it, it turned near white and contrasted nicely with the metal around it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When you say razor knife, are you talking a gasket scraper knife?

Gas works almost for anything.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle